PDA

View Full Version : Windows Refund (Revised?)

coldReactive
October 24th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I just noticed, recently, a user has complained to Wikipedia about the windows refund article ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Windows_refund )

Stating in the following quote,

I just bought window vista system 1 and the new license agreement read " IF YOU DO NOT EXCEPT THESE LICENSE TERMS YOUR SOLE REMEDY IS TO RETURN THE ENTIRE UNUSED PRODUCT (HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE) WITHIN 14 DAYS FOR A REFUND". This is completely different from what the wikipedia page says.

Meaning we can't get computers anymore without windows from retailers? Microsoft seems to not want us to refund at all anymore. The reason I want to do the windows refund, is because I want to pay CASH, I don't want to pay online.

SuperSonic4
October 24th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Isn't that illegal under competition rules?

coldReactive
October 24th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Isn't that illegal under competition rules?

It's possible that the manufacturer/retailer of the computer changed the EULA.

SuperSonic4
October 24th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Could simply be that the manufacturer does not know better. OS X can only be run on Apple hardware so it would follow only Microsoft software can run on PCs

Koosti
October 24th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Well, as long as you buy your PC in components and put it together yourself, this will never concern you... I can't remember a time when I could walk in to a store and buy a whole PC without it having Windows bundled with it... Seriously. Never.

SuperSonic4
October 24th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Well, as long as you buy your PC in components and put it together yourself, this will never concern you... I can't remember a time when I could walk in to a store and buy a whole PC without it having Windows bundled with it... Seriously. Never.

This is what I'll be doing for all my future desktops (although this one has a few years left yet!). The laptop and netbook market is a bigger concern

coldReactive
October 24th, 2009, 03:03 PM

That's another problem I have, I can't assemble my own computer, I've done nothing but fry the components. Plus, I want a laptop.

Koosti
October 24th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I didn't even consider laptops since I've always had a desktop. :S

Yeah... It's concerning. I really don't want an extra 100 bucks on my future laptop's (I'll be needing one for studies most likely) price because of an OS I'm going to swap anyways.

mikewhatever
October 24th, 2009, 03:36 PM

You could buy desktops without Windows for several years in Israel and some laptops for about a year. There are no Linux offerings worth speaking of, but at least one has an option not to pay for Windows.

omar8
October 24th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Ok, I thought I would check the Windows 7 license agreement.
It appears that the license agreement is different depending on whether it is an OEM (eg a laptop with W7 preinstalled) or if you just buy Windows 7 yourself.

Normal License:

By using the software, you accept these terms. If you do not accept them, do not use the software. Instead, return it to the retailer for a refund or credit. If you cannot obtain a refund there, contact Microsoft or the Microsoft affiliate serving your country for information about Microsoft’s refund policies. See www.microsoft.com/worldwide. In the United States and Canada, call (800) MICROSOFT or see www.microsoft.com/info/nareturns.htm.

OEM License:

By using the software, you accept these terms. If you do not accept them, do not use the software. Instead, contact the manufacturer or installer to determine its return policy. You must comply with that policy, which might limit your rights or require you to return the entire system on which the software is installed.

These licenses can be found on Windows 7 under the directories:

C:\Windows\System32\en-US\Licenses\_Default\HomePremium
C:\Windows\System32\en-US\Licenses\OEM\HomePremium

It seems a refund for Microsoft Windows on an laptop/pc will depend on the manufacturer, as they may simply tell you to return the whole machine.

beastrace91
October 24th, 2009, 04:51 PM
This is I always either A.) Buy a laptop with Linux pre-installed on it (My EEE netbook) or B.) Buy a laptop with a blank hard drive (My gaming notebook by Sager - from powernotebooks.com)

~Jeff

coldReactive
October 24th, 2009, 04:57 PM
This is I always either A.) Buy a laptop with Linux pre-installed on it (My EEE netbook) or B.) Buy a laptop with a blank hard drive (My gaming notebook by Sager - from powernotebooks.com)

~Jeff

700 is still too much for one that comes without an OS and those specs: http://www.powernotebooks.com/category.php?catId=78

probably will have to wait and see what happens.

beastrace91
October 25th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Hehe. Get what you pay for. Sager is good stuff and custom is never very cheap.

~Jeff