PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] adt-get ./configure failure

toolmanpaul
October 24th, 2009, 02:40 PM
i have a thread "no-wifi" here tring to get my wireless working...that said-after reading ubuntu help for no wi-fi, i decided to install wireless-tools package, guess what? There's no wireless-tools package in the add and remove....so download the tar.gz...follow the ubuntu instructions for tar instillations and when i type ./configure i get a not valid command error.. i then type make (lots of action on the screen) and then type make install (little screen action)..but now i can't find wireless-tools in applications any where...thinking i made things worse (though computer seem to work ok) there was alot of action when i typed "make" and then "make install"..should i now type "adt-get remove purge" to rid this app. i tried wifi radar also with the same results....could not find it after install...Note- radar was in the add and remove programs...Thanks for any help. Paul

Dougie187
October 24th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Hey,

You have to be in the new directory (that was just extracted) to type
./configure.sh
Also, it might not be something that you have to do, it's just a probable step. Some installation packages might not have the configure shell script. Anyways after that you have to type
make and then
make install however,
make install only installs it some local folder, so you might want to run
sudo make install to make it actually installed on the computer, but I would test it in a local folder before you install it globally on your computer. Then to remove the program, you can't type
sudo apt-get autoremove --purge wireless-tools as that isn't how you installed it. Now to remove it, you have to be in the same directory that you type
make
make install
and now you have to type
make uninstall or if you installed it globally before by prepending sudo to the make install command you would type
sudo make uninstall

Also though, I should mention that I believe wireless tools is in the repositories, so you might try typing this.
sudo apt-get install wireless-tools

toolmanpaul
October 24th, 2009, 04:27 PM
did the install stuff