PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] SICK of Ubuntu, Want windows. Need Help!

Yvelde
October 24th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I am not really sick of ubuntu, my problem is I need windows. I have an MSI U100 netbook that I installed Ubuntu on. From Win XP it was a sinch to put the install on a bootable thumb drive. The problem is I can't get windows on a bootable thumb drive from Ubuntu. It feels like I am on a one way street. (Going the wrong way.) I have the .iso intall file, how do I put it on a usb thumb drive so I can boot and install Windows?

RichardLinx
October 24th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Is Windows even designed to be bootable from a USB? I don't know how to go about it, sorry. Out of curiosity, what specifically do you need Windows for?

I did a search and found this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=877688

Edit: The poll you added is unnecessary.

Yvelde
October 24th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Maybe its because I don't know ubuntu enough but here are some of my issues.

- I have a low end Flap Panel display that doesn't support over 60hz refresh rate and everytime I use dosbos or emudos or even set my desktop rez too low my monitor pops up and says "not recommended settings" and shuts off after one minute.

- PPC Kitchen will not run.

If i voted on my own poll i would have to say i only use windows because of compatibily issues. I plan to go dual boot.

The problem is now I only have Ubuntu.

Michaelsheldon
October 24th, 2009, 01:52 PM
i have only been using ubuntu for about 10 hours. Bought a new laptop yesterday and installed it straight away after a freind had been using it for about a year. Im already seeing the benifits! Im sick to death of the generic approach of microsoft and their attempts to rob the world blind with their crap software!!

MelDJ
October 24th, 2009, 01:54 PM
why not use virtualbox to run windows?
and maybe this belongs in the cafe

motsteve
October 24th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Oh please no! Not an OS war!:(

RichardLinx
October 24th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I suggest you make a thread for your display issue while you try and figure out how to make a bootable Windows thumb drive. Windows XP was never designed to be booted off a USB so obviously it's not going to "just work" like Ubuntu seemed to. ("From Win XP it was a sinch to put the install on a bootable thumb drive")

You'll have to hope someone here knows how to do it and that they give you an answer or do some research your self. (Hint: Google)

Are you using Ubuntu desktop edition or the Netbook remix?
See here: http://www.canonical.com/projects/ubuntu/unr

Good luck with the XP USB problem.

MelDJ
October 24th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Oh please no! Not an OS war!:(

yes, the flames might start to burn you soon;)

Yvelde
October 24th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I'm sorry if this looks like an OS war. Please, it is not. I really like Ubuntu, Open office is the best. I even us it when I am using windows.

- RichardLinx- the link shows a tutorial using Windows to make a bootable usb drive. This is what I will more than likely end up doing. I will have to go find someone with a windows machine and borrow it. and the poll was just because I am a noob at the forum and it looked cool.:)

-Correction. i don't want to boot windows XP from a thumb drive. I want to install it to my computer from a thumb drive

RichardLinx
October 24th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Oh please no! Not an OS war!

i have only been using ubuntu for about 10 hours. Bought a new laptop yesterday and installed it straight away after a freind had been using it for about a year. Im already seeing the benifits! Im sick to death of the generic approach of microsoft and their attempts to rob the world blind with their crap software!!

This is why you shouldn't have added the poll. It's slowly degenerating from an installation issue into a thread with what can only be described as Ubuntu fanboys talking about how great an OS they only have 10 hours of experience with.
Edit:

- RichardLinx- the like shows a tutorial using Windows to make a bootable usb drive. This is what I will more than likely end up doing. I will have to go find someone with a windows machine and borrow it.
That's probably the best way to go about it.

Yvelde
October 24th, 2009, 02:07 PM
I'm using Netbook remix.

I know i can do it in windows, but I want to use Ubuntu. If I truly want to eliminate my use of windows, i must figure this out in Ubuntu

exodusofthemind
October 25th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Why are people so opposed to helping with issues similar to this?

This is at least the third thread I've seen where someone asks for some help creating a bootable windows usb stick, and all they get are snarky responses about how they should 'google' it, or something similar.

Personally I'm trying to do the same thing, I want to be able to dual boot into windows sometimes to run itunes. It doesn't work right in linux, and virtualbox runs so extremely slow that it's useless. (I have a netbook, it's my sole computer)

I have a legitimate windows key, so I'm not doing anything illegal by wanting to reinstall xp on my machine.

Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

rockstarrem
October 25th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I really lol'd at:

Becasue of Peer Pressue.

in the poll.

Mark Phelps
October 25th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Why are people so opposed to helping with issues similar to this?

I don't know that "opposed" is the right word, but I can easily understand why people here don't feel like jumping to the aid of folks who beg for help on MS Windows issues.

Folks need to realize that the name "Ubuntu Forums" means just that -- support for Ubuntu-related problems. I think the fact that ANY of us help out folks with ANY MS Windows problems says that we're willing to overlook territorial boundaries and help folks from the "other side". Complaining afterwards that we don't jump fast enough, or that we don't evidence the right attitude -- these are not going to inspire us to offer more help.

Besides, this thread starts out with "Sick of Ubuntu ...". How much support do you think you'd get in the MS Technet forums if you posted a thread entitled "Sick of Vista , Want Ubuntu. Need Help!. Hint ... I can hear the crickets chirping even now.

WitchCraft
October 25th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Is Windows even designed to be bootable from a USB? I don't know how to go about it, sorry. Out of curiosity, what specifically do you need Windows for?

I did a search and found this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=877688

Edit: The poll you added is unnecessary.

You can't boot Windows from USB, it just doesn't work in most cases.

I'd burn the ISO to a cd, install windows on the hard drive, and install Ubuntu on the USB drive.

Free and OpenSource Ubuntu Linux works and installs flawlessly on a USB drive, unlike commercial Windows...