PDA

View Full Version : Nicotine+ is my favourite music sharing program ever

hoppipolla
October 24th, 2009, 12:51 PM
I think it's amazing! I've never found a better app for just downloading odd tracks here and there. Bittorrent is better for larger things and stuff, but for the odd song, I just haven't found anything that beats this wicked little program!

What does everyone else think? :)

Starlight
October 24th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Nicotine+ is good :D But personally, I prefer to use a website called wrzuta.pl. You can find a lot of songs there, and while it officially doesn't allow downloading, only streaming like youtube, there's a good unofficial way to download mp3 songs from it easily. ^_^

Eisenwinter
October 24th, 2009, 02:39 PM
When you use Nicotine+ (SoulSeek) you're participating in a community.

Remember, you download from other users, who all support file sharing. Many artists take part in this community also, and share their work with others.

Don't just take without giving back, when someone downloads files from you, don't ban that user.

I personally love sharing my files, and the more files I get, the more I upload to others.

Each time I start it up, I almost immediately get someone downloading files from me, which is wonderful, I love it.

Koosti
October 24th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Are we supposed to have warez talk on here?

Maybe I'm weird, but I like buying CDs. There's just something about having an actual hard copy of the piece of art in your hands and rushing back home to listen to it. Plus, a full CD rack looks totally awesome.

Of course I believe in having the right to preview before buying... That's as much as I'll say. ;)

hoppipolla
October 24th, 2009, 02:47 PM
When you use Nicotine+ (SoulSeek) you're participating in a community.

Remember, you download from other users, who all support file sharing. Many artists take part in this community also, and share their work with others.

Don't just take without giving back, when someone downloads files from you, don't ban that user.

I personally love sharing my files, and the more files I get, the more I upload to others.

Each time I start it up, I almost immediately get someone downloading files from me, which is wonderful, I love it.

I do share all my stuff too :)

EDIT -- Well, actually to be fair I TRY to share, and Nicotine has never claimed there's a problem, but no-one ever downloads off me for some reason, maybe it's settings. I mean I've added the directory to my Shares but... I dunno o.O

RiceMonster
October 24th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I've been using Soulseek for years. No better place to find music. Nicotine+ is a good replacement for the official windows client.

kk0sse54
October 24th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I've been using slsk for years as well but not so much as of late due to the fact that the community has really degenerated in a lot of my favorite rooms. Nevertheless nicotine+ is a great client but I like the concept behind museekd better, if only the CLI museekd client wasn't so buggy...

Groucho Marxist
October 24th, 2009, 04:22 PM

Maybe I'm weird, but I like buying CDs. There's just something about having an actual hard copy of the piece of art in your hands and rushing back home to listen to it. Plus, a full CD rack looks totally awesome.

No DRM restrictions, uncompressed audio and the legal right to sell them when you no longer want them. For those reasons I stick with CDs. However, I save a ton of money by purchasing them at online marketplaces like eBay.

SomeGuyDude
October 24th, 2009, 05:24 PM

Of course I believe in having the right to preview before buying... That's as much as I'll say. ;)

I buy CD's when I can, and from artists that deserve it, but let me tell ya somethin', having a 64-disc wallet stolen is amongst the sh!ttiest things that can happen to ya.

Also, Nicotine's okay, but you really can't top the ol' Torrent.

hoppipolla
October 24th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Also, Nicotine's okay, but you really can't top the ol' Torrent.

I think it depends what you're dling. I mean like, I love Ktorrent I think it's wicked, but I could/would never use it for single tracks!

SomeGuyDude
October 24th, 2009, 07:14 PM
So get an album, keep what ya want. My problem with things like Nicotine is people suck at tagging and naming files.