PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installation on virtual machine using Windows Virtual PC in Windows 7

Wilester
October 24th, 2009, 12:20 PM
When I load the installation ISO into the VM and start the VM I get the normal Ubuntu screens, i.e. language selection and then "Try", "Install" etc.

Now my problem is whichever of this options I pick and whether I pick them using safe graphics mode the VM will close after this screen:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/wilester/UbuntuVM.jpg

I'm assuming it's a problem loading the hardware drivers. :D

Anyone have any thoughts?

Many thanks.

mikewhatever
October 24th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Does Windows Virtual PC supports Linux OSs? If it doesn't, get virtual box instead.

howefield
October 24th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Does Windows Virtual PC supports Linux OSs? If it doesn't, get virtual box instead.

That's the problem, scroll to the bottom ,.. "supported guest operating system"

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/requirements.aspx

Wilester
October 24th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I could have sworn I read articles with people using Virtual PC with linux. Never mind. I've installed VirtualBox now and it works fantastically.

Thanks guys.

howefield
October 24th, 2009, 01:50 PM
To be honest, I thought that too which lead me to check the website. If it can be, then MS (predictably ?) are keeping it quiet :)

You're probably better off with virtualbox in any event, in support terms should you need it. Remember to install guest additions for the extra drivers and features it gives you.

chr1sM
October 25th, 2009, 05:58 PM
VirtualBox was unnecessary, you can can install Ubuntu on Win7/Virtual PC. I have it running, did you try the i8042.noloop kernel booy option.

I have Ubuntu running in virtual pc, I am just having a problem getting the vm to release the mouse when you give it the focus. If anyone can help on this front let me know.

howefield
October 25th, 2009, 06:04 PM
VirtualBox was unnecessary

but...as it would seem, preferable. imho ;)

Davepar
October 26th, 2009, 02:35 AM
ctrl-alt-left arrow will release the mouse from the virtual machine.

I just attempted installing 9.10 RC into a Win7/Windows Virtual PC. Install seemed to go fine, although it ended in a black screen rather than auto-rebooting. I did a "turn off" on the virtual machine. Now when it boots I get:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

Dave

Jeshimon
February 24th, 2010, 07:21 PM
ctrl-alt-left arrow will release the mouse from the virtual machine.

I just attempted installing 9.10 RC into a Win7/Windows Virtual PC. Install seemed to go fine, although it ended in a black screen rather than auto-rebooting. I did a "turn off" on the virtual machine. Now when it boots I get:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

Dave

I have a very similar problem. Does anyone have it working under 'Windows Virtual PC' on Windows 7? I could install Virtual PC 2007 SP1, I know it works there, but I'd rather not. I'd like to keep things at a minimum.