PDA

View Full Version : How usefull is linux

windowless
October 24th, 2009, 07:36 AM
I was just wondering how other people have used linux or ubuntu.I have ubuntu on my main desktop, puppy linux on dell laptop, open wrt on buffalo router and tiny core on very old pc that the local kids use for internet .Linux is at the heart of all of them and made them just as good if not better.My router now has wpa2 which it did not support before and the laptop would be landfill because the motherboard will not boot from hdd

MelDJ
October 24th, 2009, 07:40 AM
dual booting windows and ubuntu. mainly use ubuntu for internet and day to day stuff but sometimes use vista to play games.

RichardLinx
October 24th, 2009, 07:41 AM
It's pretty useful. I use it for just about everything except games.

windowless
October 24th, 2009, 07:50 AM
I use consoles for games but the wife has a windows laptop for work and the kids happily
swap between windows and ubuntu/puppy

Lightstar
October 24th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Same as the general population :P
I use linux (ubuntu, though i've used many others) all the time except for games...

When I first started with linux.. uh.. at least 10 years ago, can't remember. I was using it for private things, my own budget.. etc.. since there was no spyware or virus on it.

Then came online billings and online payments, using linux again, for safety reasons.

And now i'm on full time, I spend maybe 4 hours a week on windows compared to my 30+ hours on linux

Crunchy the Headcrab
October 24th, 2009, 08:12 AM
I like the modular nature of linux. I can slap whatever I want on it and it runs fast and clean. I wish I could do that with other kernels also, but unfortunately they are mostly locked down.

cariboo
October 24th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I use linux for everything, but bookkeeping. I would pay for a program that is as easy to use ase Quickbooks or Simply Accounting.

windowless
October 24th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I use linux because it works or can be made to work with everything I own .My HP printer works great as does cameras and phones,mp3 players etc.Also I dont have to have the latest or fastest hardware to run.The system im on now is intel 2160 dual core with one gig of ram which only scored about 1.8 under windows 7 but works fantastic with ubuntu.Also for some reason my internet is faster under linux that it is with windowsI would pay for ubuntu software or support no problems.

NoaHall
October 24th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I use it for everything. I have windows in a virtual machine, and on a spare hard drive, in case I need to use visual studio. I don't need visual studio much.

steveneddy
October 24th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I have used this laptop for work since the day I bought it 2.5 years ago.

I now travel for a living and use the laptop on the road for everything.

Bookkeeping, e-mail, internet, writing a book in spare time, Flash drives and external hard drive, movies, TV, communication, photo editor, music player

It keeps me in touch with work, friends and family. It entertains me. It helps me kill time when experiencing downtime.

I do have Vista on a VM but rarely use it.

Ubuntu has been the only OS ever installed on this machine.

I can do anything that any Windows user can do and more. I have no reason to use anything but Ubuntu.

aikiwolfie
October 24th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I was just wondering how other people have used linux or ubuntu.I have ubuntu on my main desktop, puppy linux on dell laptop, open wrt on buffalo router and tiny core on very old pc that the local kids use for internet .Linux is at the heart of all of them and made them just as good if not better.My router now has wpa2 which it did not support before and the laptop would be landfill because the motherboard will not boot from hdd

I use Ubuntu virtually exclusively. I only ever use Windows when I need to repair a Windows system. Normally virus/trojan/malware removal.

In fact at this very moment I'm removing a particularly nasty trojan from my dads Windows XP machine. I've had to fall back to an Ubuntu Live USB install. Clamav did a good job of grabbing 85 infected files. But it hasn't gotten to the root of the problem. The virus is basically stopping me from doing anything from Windows. It takes over the screen and stops new applications from being launched. So all Windows anti-virus software is useless against this thing.

My dad uses Spotify which doesn't have a Linux version. And frankly I can't be bothered messing with Wine or any VMs just for Spotify. So it looks like I'll have to head out and buy a new copy of Windows 7.

So I use Ubuntu for all my everyday computing needs. I use it to play a few games. I'm not a huge gamer any longer. I also use Ubuntu when watching and ripping DVDs or when listening to music. And I use it to help me repair broken Windows PCs.

I'd say that is pretty darn useful.

darthvader87
October 24th, 2009, 07:01 PM
very usefull,except for games(duh)
and another thing,if we could install apps in linux just like in winblows(download it on another machine or get it from friend and just double-click it),i could turn my back forever from winblows