PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Anyone know how to get XP onto a liveusb?

CheshireMac
October 24th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Hey folks. I'm trying to get my new Acer Aspire One in working order once and for all. I wanted to run Ubuntu side by side with XP, which I bought the machine with. When I installed Ubuntu, I screwed the pooch on the partitioning aspect, and since then, XP has failed to boot.
So, my plan is to reinstall WinXP over the existing partitions (scorch the earth and plant a new seed), and use Wubi to dual boot.
My only issue with this path is that I can't seem to find a method of turning a Windows XP .iso file into a liveusb like I can with Ubuntu. I'm using UNebootin to make the liveusb of Ubuntu, 9.04.
If anyone can help me do this, I'd appreciate the help. Thanks guys.

dandnsmith
October 24th, 2009, 08:52 AM
You might get some joy out of another thread in this forum (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1299527) which has a link for doing it for Windows7.

Aliter: google for XP on usb - IIRC it throws up some clues.

CheshireMac
October 24th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I checked it out, and it's worth attempting. I'm in the process of doing that now.
My next alternative is just to virtualize, I guess.

CheshireMac
October 24th, 2009, 04:08 PM
So what I tried was to extract the XP iso to my thumb drive, formatted to fat32. It didn't work, and I'm running out of places to research.

darco
October 24th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Dont try to copy the .iso over to the usb, just the files. So you will need to mount the .iso first, then simply copy over the files.

darco