PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] VM Minimal install

Pnuts
October 24th, 2009, 03:52 AM
I have a few quick questions. I am installing Ubuntu Server 9.04 x64 with the f4 option for VM minimal. This install is on an ESXi 4 host.

1. When prompted for additional packages, the first one listed is "Basic Ubuntu Server". I have googled around a bit but cant find anything specifying what exactly this installs. I did find several guides for lamp, etc. that did not suggest choosing this option, but no reasoning.

2. Post installation, I see manually install things that I need instead of choosing them at the above prompt (trying to further drill it into my head different things) I notice apparmor and ufw are not installed so I install them and then configure ufw.

--Is there anything else I should consider installing for security reasons on these servers that I am possibly not aware of?

3. I have been updating manually as needed with aptitude, is there any downside to setting automatic updates? Or am I just skeptical from my MS days of testing\checking them out before hand?

Background regarding these questions if interested:

I am setting up a couple different servers for different roles (web, mysql, ldap, dns, etc) in an effort to learn more by setting up a mock network to kind of simulate a corporate environment. I have worked extensively with Windows in this sense, but am trying to spread my understanding of Linux. I have been using Ubuntu Desktop for about 8 months and feel I'm ready to branch out and start learning the server side of things.

Thanks,
Pnuts

Pnuts
October 26th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Dang 0/3 over the weekend. Anyone have any insight to any single question instead of all of them? Google doesn't seem to hold the answers for me here.