PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Corrupt data

Clavin12
October 24th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Hey, I have a problem.

I've downloaded and burnt a Xubuntu alternate install CD (properly burnt the image not just the .ISO file) and in the install I get to the "installing base system" part and it tells me i have corrupt files. I have checked the md5 sum and its fine. I have also re-burnt the CD twice using different burners. I'm have a rather old compaq presario 1200 XL laptop. Any help?

mr_steve
October 24th, 2009, 04:27 AM
I've run into this a lot when trying to install on machines with old/dirty CD-drives. One thing to try that's worked for me is to re-burn the ISO at the slowest possible speed, which for me is 10x. The slower speeds put a noticeably clearer impression on the disc, and make it a little easier to read. Give it a shot, nothing to lose but another CD-R.

Clavin12
October 24th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Can you recommend an ISO burner (free)? Does it make any difference whether or not you use a CD-RW?

mr_steve
October 24th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Check out https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto for some recommended ISO burning tools. As far as CD-RW goes, I've found that some older CD drives have trouble with CD-RWs, or at least can be more picky about them.

Clavin12
October 25th, 2009, 03:27 AM
The problem is still occurring. I cleaned the drive, re-burnt the CD at a slower speed, and even re-downloaded the file from the canada link instead of US. The file remains corrupted. Would it be possible to put the ISO stuff on a hard-disk partition and then install to a different partition?