PDA

View Full Version : I'm a little dissapointed...

CJ Master
October 24th, 2009, 01:36 AM
I preordered Windows 7 for $50... and I found out you can only install it on one computer just recently... I had it all planned to install on at least 3. :( I thought the limit was three... oh well, you learn something new every day.

hoppipolla
October 24th, 2009, 01:37 AM
exactly!
the lesson is... use Kubuntu Linux. lol :)

CJ Master
October 24th, 2009, 01:38 AM
exactly!
the lesson is... use Kubuntu Linux. lol :)

Well, I would, but this is a gaming rig.

(Plus KDE in Kubuntu is aweful, would rather have Arch+KDE(mod))

dragos240
October 24th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Uh..... Some windows programs can't be run on wine, and some other things. Some people need windows.

NormanFLinux
October 24th, 2009, 01:43 AM
I think you mistook a single upgrade package for the Windows 7 Family Pack... which costs $150 and lets you install Windows 7 on up to three PCs.

Shibblet
October 24th, 2009, 01:46 AM
I think you mistook a single upgrade package for the Windows 7 Family Pack... which costs $150 and lets you install Windows 7 on up to three PCs.

Which version of 7 is that? Starter? That seems a bit ridiculous for that price if it's Home Premium.

EDIT: Never mind, it keeps which version of Vista you have. But what does XP Home get upgraded to? 7 Basic, or Home Premium?

Firestem4
October 24th, 2009, 02:19 AM

don't mean to go off topic but Kubuntu's KDE, while not the best, certainly isn't awful. And it's getting much better every release.

And yes I have tried Arch+KDEmod too.

HappyFeet
October 24th, 2009, 04:26 AM
(Plus KDE in Kubuntu is awful

KDE 4 still needs another year or 2. I might give it another try right before KDE 5 comes out. :rolleyes:

HappinessNow
October 24th, 2009, 04:27 AM
I'm a little dissapointed...If only a "little" disappointed...

Just buy 2 more copies?

Giant Speck
October 24th, 2009, 04:37 AM
KDE 4 still needs another year or 2. I might give it another try right before KDE 5 comes out. :rolleyes:

Oh, they'll just give up and completely revamp it again by the time that happens.

Shibblet
October 24th, 2009, 06:50 AM

I am curious, what about KDE 4 do you not like?

xArv3nx
October 24th, 2009, 07:06 AM

Please.. barely any difference between kdemod and kubuntu base kde wise.

-grubby
October 24th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Which version of 7 is that? Starter? That seems a bit ridiculous for that price if it's Home Premium.

EDIT: Never mind, it keeps which version of Vista you have. But what does XP Home get upgraded to? 7 Basic, or Home Premium?

As far as I know, Home Basic is only available in developing countries.

hoppipolla
October 24th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Oh, they'll just give up and completely revamp it again by the time that happens.

yeah... them and their "development"! xD

CJ Master
October 24th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Please.. barely any difference between kdemod and kubuntu base kde wise.

Wrong.

If only a "little" disappointed...

Just buy 2 more copies?

Not spending $300 on it kthnx... I'm just angry that eventually I'll have to go back to XP (which doesn't have the latest DX.)

murderslastcrow
October 24th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Yeah, might as well get the family pack. 140 dollars for 3 Windows 7 Home Premium Licenses, if I'm correct. Then you can just give one to a friend who needs Windows for any reason or sell it if it's available for resale.

Yeah, I don't recall upgrades ever coming with more than one license included.

sliketymo
October 24th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I preordered Windows 7 for $50... and I found out you can only install it on one computer just recently... I had it all planned to install on at least 3. :( I thought the limit was three... oh well, you learn something new every day.

Life in the fast lane,bro.:guitar:

HappinessNow
October 24th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Yeah, might as well get the family pack. 140 dollars for 3 Windows 7 Home Premium Licenses, if I'm correct. Then you can just give one to a friend who needs Windows for any reason or sell it if it's available for resale.

Yeah, I don't recall upgrades ever coming with more than one license included.

Awesome post. The Family Pack for $140 is probably the way I will go.

sn0m
October 24th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Just use XP...

CJ Master
October 24th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Just use XP...

XP is old, outdated, doesn't have the latest DirectX, and is fundamentally flawed. I'd much rather have W7...

CharlesA
October 24th, 2009, 09:38 PM
XP is old, outdated, doesn't have the latest DirectX, and is fundamentally flawed. I'd much rather have W7...

Then go out and buy the family pack. http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-7-Home-Premium-Upgrade-Family-Pack/product/87DFFF11

Or just cough up the money for another copy of W7.

Is there a reason you need DX10?

CJ Master
October 24th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Then go out and buy the family pack. http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-7-Home-Premium-Upgrade-Family-Pack/product/87DFFF11

Or just cough up the money for another copy of W7.

Unfortuantly, I don't have the money for either.

Is there a reason you need DX10?

I have a gaming rig. I want to take full advantage of what games can use.

xArv3nx
October 24th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Wrong.
What makes you say otherwise?

forrestcupp
October 24th, 2009, 11:02 PM

No, the $149 is a family pack for the Home Premium version. At least that's what it says on the box.

The funny thing is in my Walmart, they're selling the Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade for $119 and the Windows Vista Home Premium upgrade for $135. What a great close out sale on Vista! :)

CharlesA
October 24th, 2009, 11:13 PM
The funny thing is in my Walmart, they're selling the Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade for $119 and the Windows Vista Home Premium upgrade for $135. What a great close out sale on Vista! :)

I love that! I saw an ad for a close-out of a laptop with Vista on it for 550. The same laptop with W7 on it was 500. :confused: