PDA

View Full Version : GMT Time Difference?

sports fan Matt
October 24th, 2009, 01:28 AM
What is the time different between London and NYC.. 5 hrs?

and where is GMT? London, other places? I ask cause I hear it on the BBC world service all the time.

JDShu
October 24th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Greenwich Meridian Time

...and you are correct, its 5 hours.

sports fan Matt
October 24th, 2009, 01:50 AM
That is what I figured. So just the UK observes this?

JDShu
October 24th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Wikipedia will probably answer all your questions, but GMT is the international standard.

JDShu
October 24th, 2009, 01:57 AM
ok, looked it up myself, I lied sorry. Its Greenwich Mean Time.

Bachstelze
October 24th, 2009, 01:58 AM

Also Portugal, Iceland and some western African countries. Also, all those countries except Iceland use GMT+1 in summer. Some countries use UTC instead of GMT at their timezone base, but since the maximum difference between both is 0.9 seconds, it doesn't usually matter.

Bölvağur
October 24th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Also Portugal, Iceland and some western African countries. Also, all those countries except Iceland use GMT+1 in summer. Some countries use UTC instead of GMS at their timezone base, but since the maximum difference between both is 0.9 seconds, it doesn't usually matter.

so you can belief me when I say that the time difference between gmt and you varies over the year (summertime) but it holds hands with the time in the uk, as they also use summertime.

I'd want to see everyone use the same time zone. it's just stupid not to.

hobo14
October 24th, 2009, 04:31 AM

In practice, GB mostly uses UTC, not GMT. UTC is, for all non-technical purposes, pretty much the same as GMT, so it's reasonable to say the whole world uses GMT.

Bachstelze
October 24th, 2009, 05:01 AM
In practice, GB mostly uses UTC, not GMT.

The legal time in the UK (in winter) is GMT, not UTC (although it's true that UTC is also widely used).