PDA

View Full Version : One In Two PCs Won't Run Vista's Interface

Sirin
February 15th, 2006, 06:48 AM
While integrated graphics seem to handle Windows XP and 2000 just fine, they won't be able to handle Vista's 3D 'Aero Glass' compositor, which will prevent roughly half of all PCs from running Microsoft's new OS. Performance class cards that can handle DirectX 9.0c are up for the challenge." From the article: "After years of delays and several feature revisions, one of Vista's main selling points is the Aero Glass interface. However, as Peddie notes, users already have the ability to start constructing a PC that should be Vista-ready before the OS even ships. Microsoft also said this week that it would reserve its Halo 2 videogame for Vista."

http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/06/02/10/2137245.shtml

NeoChaosX
February 15th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Most people will just buy new PCs that have the supported hardware with Vista pre-installed on them. Even then, some of the new visual features CAN be enabled on older hardware, so it's a moot point either way.

mstlyevil
February 15th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Most people will just buy new PCs that have the supported hardware with Vista pre-installed on them. Even then, some of the new visual features CAN be enabled on older hardware, so it's a moot point either way.

I agree with this post. If they have a AGP or a PCI-E slot on their motherboard all they have to do is spend $50-$75 USD to buy a compatible video card. They would probally want to upgrade their RAM but that is cheap also. Since over 50% of the computers that run onboard video have either one of these slots, it really is not that big of a deal if they are going to spend $150-$300 USD to buy Vista. I suspect most people will just stick with what they got until they are ready to buy a new computer.

Leo_01
February 15th, 2006, 07:33 AM
I just hope the glass interface won't be a drag when i am switching between many programs...
I am feeling the need for a 4GB of RAM on my system for vista.

mstlyevil
February 15th, 2006, 07:37 AM
I just hope the glass interface won't be a drag when i am switching between many programs...

If that is true for Vista then it will be true for future versions of Linux. I have many of the features by using kwin that areo glass will have and I do not even use 300 megs of my 1 gig of memory. I would say you will probally need a minimum of 1 gig and 2 gigs would be optimal because Windows third party programs are getting really memory hungry.

TechSonic
February 15th, 2006, 07:40 AM
I don't use my onboard video. It's slower becaues it shares the same Ram with the rest of the system. So if I want 256mbs of ram for video, I have to subtract 256mbs of ram from the rest of the system.

Leo_01
February 15th, 2006, 07:43 AM
The thing i like Linux about is that it is not for everyone having a super 64bit speed monster rather it for those who wanna just to get work done with low cost. (seriously who needs the glass interface to get work done?)

briancurtin
February 15th, 2006, 07:54 AM
i want to get 4 GB of ram just for the hell with it. screw vista.

poofyhairguy
February 15th, 2006, 08:06 AM

Amen.

Leo_01
February 15th, 2006, 08:08 AM
My younger bro is a gamer and so happen that i really like testing out "just released" products.
Gamer + "just released" product tester = a system with 4GB of ram.
Go figure.

mstlyevil
February 15th, 2006, 08:08 AM

Amen.

Damn power users! ;) (BTW, I want 4 gigs also.)

Leo_01
February 15th, 2006, 08:13 AM
I thought 1 GB or more of RAM is pretty normal these days?

bonzodog
February 15th, 2006, 12:44 PM
I also believe that MS will follow the same policy with vista that they have Windows XP 64 Bit - not available off the shelf. What you will have to do is buy it OEM, either with a new computer, or from a computers parts supplier along with a part for a computer.

xequence
February 15th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Remember... These are just rumours. Another rumour is that you can easily turn the themes off and have it run on an older computer.

nocturn
February 15th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Remember... These are just rumours. Another rumour is that you can easily turn the themes off and have it run on an older computer.

Off course it will. Each of those PC's still represent a sale, so if they want Vista to be a cash-cow, they'll make ik work.

That said, for all I care Vista could need 10 GB RAM and a computer that'll be build in 2012, I have no desire to use it at all. (at work, the requirements are not my problem).

100% MS free at home since 1999

Lord Illidan
February 15th, 2006, 01:38 PM

Where I am, 512 MB is the norm... 1 Gig is not too common...

Leo_01
February 15th, 2006, 02:47 PM
You can use the "enhanced" Win XP theme if you have a older computer.
:-k
I would seriously NOT go for the "enhanced" Win XP theme...
I am rather surprise that it take SO LONG for MS to figure out they need to make their products prettier...
Linux figured it out long ago.:-D

nocturn
February 15th, 2006, 03:15 PM

Most pre-build systems here are sold with 256 MB, though 512MB is not uncommon.

My notebook has 512 and runs great with it.

dosed150
February 15th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Most pre-build systems here are sold with 256 MB, though 512MB is not uncommon.

My notebook has 512 and runs great with it.

both pcs in my house only had 256mb well laptop had less really cos of the integrated graphics but now this pc has 768 and laptop has 512mb

mstlyevil
February 15th, 2006, 05:09 PM

Microsoft claims that you can run either a XP style interface or a 2000 style interface depending on how old your equipment is. In fact, the very basic Home version will not even include the Aero Glass interface. I would not just call it a rumor if that is what MSFT is promising.