PDA

View Full Version : How to compile and link C++ source code

abrrymnvette
October 23rd, 2009, 07:28 PM
At the risk of exposing how green I am to this. I'm trying to tech myself some C++ so I can at least read programs and understand them.

My problem is, I've started with this tut http://newdata.box.sk/bx/c/htm/ch01.htm and it assumes I know how to compile and link, which I don't.

I open notepad, and wrote the things it says. Saved it as test.cpp. Now what? This is what I don't know what to do? I tried running it as ./test.cpp but got errors about unexpexted characters. Is that normal or was I supposed to compile and link it first?

Thanks for the help! If I put this in the wrong forum/topic please move.

slavik
October 23rd, 2009, 07:34 PM
Moved to separate thread.

presuming you are on Linux.

open a terminal and navigate to where you cpp file is, then run the following command:

g++ -o test test.cpp

dwhitney67
October 23rd, 2009, 08:38 PM
At the risk of exposing how green I am to this. I'm trying to tech myself some C++ so I can at least read programs and understand them.

My problem is, I've started with this tut http://newdata.box.sk/bx/c/htm/ch01.htm and it assumes I know how to compile and link, which I don't.

I open notepad, and wrote the things it says. Saved it as test.cpp. Now what? This is what I don't know what to do? I tried running it as ./test.cpp but got errors about unexpexted characters. Is that normal or was I supposed to compile and link it first?

Thanks for the help! If I put this in the wrong forum/topic please move.

Skip reading that tutorial, because it appears that it was written long ago.

If you want to develop a simple C++ program (similar to the tutorial), compile it, and then run it, follow these steps:

1. Using your favorite editor, edit a file call hello.cpp with the following contents:

#include <iostream> // note, in your tutorial, this was iostream.h;
// that's why I know it is an old tutorial

int main()
{
using namespace std; // This is the namespace where cout, endl,
// and a lot other Standard Template Library
// objects and containers reside.

cout << "Hello world." << endl;

return 0; // this is optional, but some die-hard programmers like it.
}

To compile (and link):

g++ hello.cpp -o hello

To run the program:

./hello