PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 RC or BETA?

schallstrom
October 23rd, 2009, 05:54 PM
Now that 9.10 RC is released will the update-manager install the RC version or the BETA?

When I start 'update-manager -d' and click 'Upgrade' a window with the Release Notes is popping up stating:

= Welcome to the Ubuntu 'Karmic Koala' development release =

This is still a BETA release.
Do not install it on production machines.

Do they just refer to the RC as a 'BETA' version, too, or would it really upgrade my 9.04 installation to the weeks old Beta release of 9.10?

I'm asking because I would like to upgrade to the RC, which is experientially very stable but I definitely don't want to upgrade to the Beta because of reports, that this could cause the system to not boot anymore on machines with Intel graphics chips.

tuahaa
October 26th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Well, I have an Intel graphics card and Beta runs flawlessly now. Before, I had some issues booting, sometimes it would, sometimes it won't. But after a few updates it works perfectly. I would recommend getting it, but if you aren't going to take risks, the official release is a couple of days away

schallstrom
October 26th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Well, I have an Intel graphics card and Beta runs flawlessly now. Before, I had some issues booting, sometimes it would, sometimes it won't. But after a few updates it works perfectly. I would recommend getting it, but if you aren't going to take risks, the official release is a couple of days away

Thanks for the reply. I installed it and it works fine. Unfortunately the volume keys of my Thinkpad still don't give a visual feedback when pressed. But that was broken in 9.04, too (it worked until 8.10 though...).