PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Reordering tray icons

marcb
October 23rd, 2009, 05:46 PM
I am a GNOME user. I would love to be able to move -reorder- my tray icons (volume, networking, energy... + other tray applications) but, as far as I know, this is not possible, the order gets defined by the moment the icon is placed in the tray. I like how Windows 7 differentiate system icons (being preferably next to the clock) from other applications, and the ability to set a fixed order for all of them. Therefore, now I always know where to look for specific information. This way, I don't have to scan through all my icons but go directly to its usual place. In my opinion, it would be more usable, instead of relying on a "random" position. After all, you should not be forced to move it, so having this feature would not be a problem for people that don't like it.

I even usually do some scripts to delay startup of information tray information so they appear in the order I want them... But after suspend, icons do whatever they want...

Does anyone know if there is planned a similar feature for GNOME for future versions? If not, what is the best mechanism to suggest it to GNOME developers ("wishlist")?

Thank you! :)

roggenschrotbrot
October 23rd, 2009, 05:54 PM
I can't help you with all of the Icons, but at least the volume icon is a applet on its own and can be moved anywhere within the panel.

marcb
October 23rd, 2009, 09:27 PM
Thank you, roggenschrotbrot.

I already took that into account when doing the 'cheap&dirty' scripts (volume does not need one), but thanks for the useful tip anyway. On the other hand, the rest are not applets but programs (such as NetworkManager, Bluetooth...), and the problem is still with all the other programs I may have open (Pidgin, Skype, Spotify...).

Are you aware of any work being done (or at least, planned) for this to change? I wouldn't mind filing a suggestion on whatever platform GNOME expects me to do so. I just don't know what is the place for that.

See you and again, thanks!