PDA

View Full Version : Good ZDnet Article: Windows 7's latest fan: Linus Torvalds

Firestem4
October 23rd, 2009, 05:20 PM
http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=11403&tag=nl.e539

I was determined to not write about Windows 7 today, because any analysis I wrote would get buried in all the other news. I was going to wait to deliver my “last word” sometime next week. But then a co-worker emailed me the photo above, clearly of Linus Torvalds at the software counter at Yodobashi, a Japanese consumer electronics store in Tokyo in front of a huge display of Windows 7 boxes, giving it the international sign of recognition: Thumbs Up. I HAD to post that.

Of course, if you happen to be Japanese, the custom is to make the “V” sign rather than a “Thumbs Up” when you are being photographed, but I won’t criticize Linus for his trivial knowledge gap.

Click on the “Read the rest of this entry” link below for more.

However, what I do think is significant here is that Linus has a sense of humor, and has no interest in being caught up in the Free Software nonsense where one of the major sticking points in their ideology is a hatred of “Unethical” software companies in which Microsoft is the poster child — and in utter contempt and protest the products they release, which includes a recently started campaign against the “Sins” of Windows 7.

Do I actually believe Linus was endorsing Windows 7? No, he was in town for the Japan Linux Symposium. But it shows he has a clear sense of humor, understands tolerance, and knows how to lighten up when his Free Software counterparts are frothing at the mouth during one of the most important software launch days in Microsoft’s history.

So is Linus Torvalds the latest entry on the Free Software Foundation’s and Richard Stallman’s “Traitors” list for daring to appear in front of a pile of Windows 7 boxes without lighting them on fire first?

Please, no flame wars =)

FLMKane
October 23rd, 2009, 05:26 PM
I think he was just having some fun.

Firestem4
October 23rd, 2009, 05:41 PM
I think he was just having some fun.

I agree, which is why I wanted to post the article. Theres a big divide among GNU/Linux in regards to anything proprietary...Though I have yet to meet anyone on UF that is as high and mighty about it as Stallman (by extension FSF because of their latest "Sins of Windows" FUD). Though I can tell this might provoke a fight =*(.

Tristam Green
October 23rd, 2009, 05:49 PM
Guess what - I'll bet that Linus is able to spot good software regardless of its source-type.

Shocker, I know.

RiceMonster
October 23rd, 2009, 06:02 PM
Guess what - I'll bet that Linus is able to spot good software regardless of its source-type.

Shocker, I know.

omg you mean linu$ will use non-free software!? Someone report him to the FSF!

partsdale
October 23rd, 2009, 06:53 PM
"linu$ "

funny...

Exodist
October 23rd, 2009, 07:08 PM

Shocker, I know.

LOL... Your dreaming..

Linus was just doing that as a joke, which is actually funny.

Keyper7
October 23rd, 2009, 07:15 PM
In today's news, Linus Torvalds gave Windows 7 a thumbs up.

In related news, Richard Stallman gave it the middle finger.

EDIT: On a more serious note, I like Linus' pragmatism. He's always said that he prioritizes GOOD over FOSS. He uses a lot of FOSS software not simply because they are free, but because they are good and get the job done. Listening to him makes much easier to take free software seriously then listening to FSF fundamentalists.

pricetech
October 23rd, 2009, 07:17 PM
I agree that Linus posed for the picture as a joke. I like to think too, however, that he's rational enough to accept that the closed source model just works for some people, right wrong or indifferent.

Twitch6000
October 23rd, 2009, 07:19 PM

Shocker, I know.

Nah that is not a shocker he is atleast one Linux user who has his head on right.

nowin4me
October 23rd, 2009, 07:20 PM
Nvm

Tristam Green
October 23rd, 2009, 07:25 PM
LOL... Your dreaming..

Keep thinking that.

In today's news, Linus Torvalds gave Windows 7 a thumbs up.

In related news, Richard Stallman gave it the middle finger.

EDIT: On a more serious note, I like Linus' pragmatism. He's always said that he prioritizes GOOD over FOSS. He uses a lot of FOSS software not simply because they are free, but because they are good and get the job done. Listening to him makes much easier to take free software seriously then listening to FSF fundamentalists.

There we go. The Dream is alive, Exodist.

Nah that is not a shocker he is atleast one Linux user who has his head on right.

Like Giant Speck said in a separate thread, I guarantee you that Linus has at least one computer that runs Windows and OSX, just as I'm sure Bill and Steve have computers that run all three major Operating System variants.

PryGuy
October 23rd, 2009, 07:38 PM
I think Windows 7 is okay. Finally... And mostly because of Linux success. And Torvalds is not the man who starts the holy wars. Let's face it, Windows 7 is a good piece of software. I personally just don't like their license and their source closed...

PryGuy
October 23rd, 2009, 07:40 PM
Double post, sorry...:oops:

RiceMonster
October 23rd, 2009, 07:44 PM
LOL... Your dreaming..

Read this (http://www.osnews.com/story/21887/Linus_Microsoft_Hatred_is_a_Disease) then say that again.

Yes it was a joke, but not in the context you think it was.

Ichtyandr
October 23rd, 2009, 07:49 PM
It might be a good piece of software, but I am not interested in a system that has a minimal "system requirement" of 1 gb RAM or 2 GB for 64 bit.
I wonder how much it takes to run smoothly after a while when loaded with programs.

Tristam Green
October 23rd, 2009, 07:51 PM
It might be a good piece of software, but I am not interested in a system that has a minimal "system requirement" of 1 gb RAM or 2 GB for 64 bit.
I wonder how much it takes to run smoothly after a while when loaded with programs.

On my AspireOne, 2gb RAM with GIMP, Thunderbird, Firefox with multiple tabs open, two Desktop Gadgets, Pidgin, Skype, ActiveSync, no slowdown at all.

With Skype, Pidgin, and Guild Wars running - a little slower, but it's a netbook - not a gaming machine.

also, this is Windows 7 Professional.

tribaal
October 23rd, 2009, 07:51 PM
When in doubt, check the source (http://picasaweb.google.com/cschlaeger/JapanLinuxSymposium#5395358413061926434).

Funny how it works both for software and for journalism, doesn't it?

- Trib'

Ichtyandr
October 23rd, 2009, 07:59 PM
On my AspireOne, 2gb RAM with GIMP, Thunderbird, Firefox with multiple tabs open, two Desktop Gadgets, Pidgin, Skype, ActiveSync, no slowdown at all.

With Skype, Pidgin, and Guild Wars running - a little slower, but it's a netbook - not a gaming machine.

also, this is Windows 7 Professional.

This is not bad actually, do you also resort to an antivirus of a sort or is this a moot issue there?

Tristam Green
October 23rd, 2009, 08:07 PM
This is not bad actually, do you also resort to an antivirus of a sort or is this a moot issue there?

I figured that was a given, but AVG Free+Windows Firewall.

LowSky
October 23rd, 2009, 08:10 PM

Those minimal requirements are what new computers from the last 2-3 years have been sold. 7 runs great on my netbook, and it isn't slow at all.

Your arguing a very limited understanding of the OS's ability. Some forums users here have argued that Ubuntu is a resource hog. Because they cant run it on a 486 chip @33Mhz and 8MB of RAM

From using Windows 7 exclusively since the first Beta to the RC's it runs fine, even with antivirus, torrents, applications like itunes, office, and other things like widgets installed.

Sure I have decent newer hardware but to complain that a OS was built for generally newer equipment and it wont support your 700Mhz Pentium 3 with 256 RAM is a horrible complaint. Operating systems are built to support the statistically average user especially the ones made for profit, and besides most people buy Windows on a new machine, not their old computer that barely ran Windows ME.

Ichtyandr
October 23rd, 2009, 08:28 PM
Actually I did not use Win7, and do not claim to have an understanding of an OS. I do remember XP pro having minimum requirement as 128mb ram but barely functioning with that.
And then there was a friend of mine who has a relatively old laptop with Core 2 Duo 2.2 ghz and 2 gb ram, and I thought look, this Win7 asks for 1 gb as minimum, perhaps if I load it there it will kill the beast, that is not so fast anymore (despite having XP on board, after 2 years of working without reinstalls)
But I realize that this is not a too open-minded approach,
cheers

Twitch6000
October 23rd, 2009, 08:47 PM
Keep thinking that.

There we go. The Dream is alive, Exodist.

Like Giant Speck said in a separate thread, I guarantee you that Linus has at least one computer that runs Windows and OSX, just as I'm sure Bill and Steve have computers that run all three major Operating System variants.

Yeah he probably does. If he is anything like your normal geek he probably has a commadore 64 laying around too lol.