PDA

View Full Version : The New Default Desktop For Xubuntu

Mark76
October 23rd, 2009, 04:27 PM
Is purty :D

The Xubuntu devs have done an excellent job.

What do you think of it?

edin9
October 23rd, 2009, 04:28 PM
Screens?

Mark76
October 23rd, 2009, 04:34 PM
There's one right there.

Don't tell me you want one with a window open :(

edin9
October 23rd, 2009, 04:36 PM
There's one right there.

Not this again. I can't see any image.

mancha
October 23rd, 2009, 04:36 PM
This release offers much more than a fancy desktop but that can only be experienced by installing it fully.

Mark76
October 23rd, 2009, 04:37 PM
Oh well, never mind.

edin9
October 23rd, 2009, 04:39 PM
It doesn't look so different from Xubuntu Jaunty.

RiceMonster
October 23rd, 2009, 04:40 PM
Wow, that's a really nice wallpaper.

Squonk07
October 23rd, 2009, 05:23 PM
I like that wallpaper. It's a nice homage to Dawn of Ubuntu, even if the artist didn't intend that.

koleoptero
October 23rd, 2009, 06:11 PM

It would be nice if you could get one :mrgreen:

unknownPoster
October 23rd, 2009, 06:24 PM
If only the Ubuntu developers would go out on a limb and mix things up.

Exodist
October 23rd, 2009, 07:13 PM
Is purty :D

The Xubuntu devs have done an excellent job.

What do you think of it?

Yes its actually very nice looking.

Stan_1936
October 23rd, 2009, 08:17 PM
..What do you think of it?

New wallpaper(which I will change first) and new theme(which I will change second).

RiceMonster
October 23rd, 2009, 08:24 PM
If only the Ubuntu developers would go out on a limb and mix things up.

Don't get your hopes up.

Stan_1936
October 23rd, 2009, 08:27 PM
Screens?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Artwork/Karmic

SomeGuyDude
October 23rd, 2009, 08:29 PM
Xubuntu needs to be either overhauled or scrapped. It offers nothing over Ubuntu that I've seen.

Stan_1936
October 23rd, 2009, 08:31 PM
Xubuntu needs to be either overhauled or scrapped. It offers nothing over Ubuntu that I've seen.

People keep saying that XFCE is bloated....and I agree BUT, despite that, XFCE feels significantly faster, for me, than Gnome.

My hardware is VERY thankful that there IS an Xubuntu.

RiceMonster
October 23rd, 2009, 08:31 PM

Yep; it's no longer more lightweight than Ubuntu, and they try and make Xfce exactly like GNOME, so I don't see the point.

People keep saying that XFCE is bloated....and I agree BUT, despite that, XFCE feels significantly faster, for me, than Gnome.

I think you mean people keep saying Xubuntu is bloated.

SomeGuyDude
October 23rd, 2009, 08:33 PM

XFCE is lighter than GNOME, but Xubuntu is basically Ubuntu with a different WM. It's not lighter, it's not faster, hell it barely looks any different. Look at that screen. They even have same dual panels now.

Sure, Kubuntu isn't the best application of KDE, but at least it's a completely different experience.

Stan_1936
October 23rd, 2009, 08:37 PM
..Xubuntu ...It's not lighter, it's not faster......

Like I said, for me, it feels lighter(and hence faster).

,,,hell it barely looks any different.......

In less than 30 seconds you can change the way it looks. Probably less than 15 seconds if you have all the themes/wallpapers/icons already downloaded.

...They even have same dual panels now...

You can delete one panel with a right click of the mouse....in less than 5 seconds.

Good day.

SomeGuyDude
October 23rd, 2009, 08:48 PM
So your argument in favor of the fact that Xubuntu is an exact clone of GNOMEbuntu is that "it can be changed".

Well derp, no duh. So why have the Xubuntu project at all? Just install Ubuntu and install XFCE. Bam, Xubuntu.

drawkcab
October 23rd, 2009, 08:54 PM
I think we may be equivocating between two different senses of "light."

Xubuntu may not be lighter than ubuntu in the sense that the size of the xubuntu .iso is actually about the same size as the .iso for ubuntu.

Xubuntu may be lighter than ubuntu in the sense that it somehow runs faster. This seems to be supported by anecdote even if the ram usage turns out to be the same.

SomeGuyDude
October 23rd, 2009, 08:56 PM
If you tell someone that Xubuntu is "faster" they will believe it. Placebo effect, especially with Xubuntu.

gjoellee
October 23rd, 2009, 09:06 PM
I have tried the RC of Xubuntu (installing it now) and I am more happy with Xubuntu then with Ubuntu.

-The artwork is way better
-Still got eye candy as xsplash (just cooler animation)
-All applications launch slightly faster, Xfce native apps launch really fast
-It just works!

kevin11951
October 23rd, 2009, 10:04 PM
I personally will never leave xubuntu becuase the panel's icons and applets stay where you put them, even after a dramatic screen resolution change, (which i do quite often). Also it seems more customizable in a way (like how you can change what is displayed on the clock.)

mivo
October 23rd, 2009, 10:53 PM
XFCE is lighter than GNOME, but Xubuntu is basically Ubuntu with a different WM. It's not lighter, it's not faster, hell it barely looks any different.

On my old laptop it is significantly faster than Ubuntu.

myusername
October 23rd, 2009, 11:12 PM
xubuntu has the best wall papers out of all the *buntus

mdsmedia
October 23rd, 2009, 11:31 PM
XFCE is lighter than GNOME, but Xubuntu is basically Ubuntu with a different WM. It's not lighter, it's not faster, hell it barely looks any different. Look at that screen. They even have same dual panels now.

Sure, Kubuntu isn't the best application of KDE, but at least it's a completely different experience.

I have to disagree strongly here. I've used Ubuntu on this notebook since I got it, and recently installed Xubuntu-desktop. It's noticeably lighter. My system monitor shows it to be noticeably lighter, and it feels snappier.

Warpnow
October 23rd, 2009, 11:37 PM
XFCEs comppsitor is much more lightweight than compiz. Much, and that's a decent portion of the weight difference more people notice, I think.

tjwoosta
October 24th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I agree that xubuntu is actually a bit lighter and snappier then ubuntu but if you compare xubuntu to any other xfce distros it is by far the heaviest.

For example here are some comparisons on my machine at idle with nothing open.

Debian lenny xfce uses about 65mb ram.

Slackware 13 xfce uses about 120mb ram.

Zenwalk uses about 120mb ram

Arch xfce uses about 65mb ram.

linux mint gloria xfce uses about 130mb ram

xubuntu uses about 210mb ram

XubuRoxMySox
October 24th, 2009, 02:26 AM
If it's lightweight Ubuntu you're after, stick around for Lubuntu (the LXDE variant). I gather that the first release of an official Lubuntu may not occur until the next LTS (April, 2010?), but the aim is to keep it lightweight and speedy, just as Xubuntu was originally intended to do.

I think "Lubuntu-desktop" will be available in Karmic as a metapackage, however, for a nice sneak preview of what the official LXDE 'buntu will look like.

-Robin