PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New Build

ravynchylde1960
October 23rd, 2009, 04:06 PM
I'm getting parts for a Frankenputer tomorrow from New Egg. They include a Phenom II Quad Core 3.0 cpu, a 500G HD and a 200G firewire drive, an nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS and 4G of ram. It's been about a year since I've installed Ubuntu (I've been running a beta of Windows 7 on my Fujitsu laptop because my online school can't handle Linux (rolls eyes).

Is there anything I should know about installation that's changed?

dhavalbbhatt
October 23rd, 2009, 04:19 PM
It depends which version of Ubuntu you are going to install. If it is 9.04, then I would say there weren't fundamental differences between 8.10 and 9.04. If you are going to install 9.10, which comes out in 6 days (10/29), then there are some fundamental changes between previous versions of Ubuntu and 9.10. The first is, ext4 filesystem will be the default filesystem for Ubuntu. The other is 9.10 is moving away from GRUB and going to use GRUB 2.0 (which is a complete re-write of GRUB, and hence, significantly different). Apart from these changes, there are other software/application related changes - which is what you should expect going from one release to another with Ubuntu.

As always, it is best to try out Ubuntu LiveCD before you install.