PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Bad Disk?

sk8trf
October 23rd, 2009, 03:42 PM
I just made an ubuntu disk to dual boot on my windows vista computer, for some reason it wont let me install it im stuck on the screen where it asks if you wanna run the live cd, install ubuntu, check disk. I can select different options but when i press enter nothing happens i can still use the F keys to change settings and stuff, i really want to get the live cd going and see if i can get my wireless usb network adapter to work.

dstew
October 23rd, 2009, 06:46 PM
Are you sure the disk is good? Does it run on other computers?

If you can get the Live CD system to run on other computers, then the disk is probably good. If the disk is bad, burn another one, but use a slow burn speed, no more than 4x.

If the disk is good, then maybe the Live CD kernel will not work with your hardware. You can try kernel parameters like acpi=off which you enter on the kernel line using the F6 key I think. But, it is difficult to say which if any kernel parameters will work.

If the main thing is to install Ubuntu, you should use the Alternate Install CD. It installs the same Ubuntu desktop system as the Live CD, but it uses a text-based installer that is more reliable. You can get the Alternate Install CD from this Ubuntu Alternate download page (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate).