PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else found that if you run GTK and Qt apps together sound can break? ._.

hoppipolla
October 23rd, 2009, 12:58 PM
They like, nick each other's sound on my KDE desktop so sometimes Amarok can play and sometimes Chrome plays sound on Youtube clips... anyone know how to fix this one?

It's a shame as quite a few people mix apps depending on which desktop has the best app for a certain thing. Does the sound also get confused like this in Gnome? It might be a PulseAudio problem ._.

EDIT -- and sorry for the sloppy thread title lol

Tibuda
October 23rd, 2009, 01:00 PM
Don't know, I use VLC and Skype (Qt apps) in Gnome/Openbox/Compiz and never seen my sound breaking.

hoppipolla
October 23rd, 2009, 01:02 PM
Yeah it keeps coming up with a little message saying something about my Sound Blaster Audigy has broken in Phonon (the KDE sound management thingy). And yes before people jump on KDE - 4 is still new cut it some slack! It's not perfect but it's still AWESOME! lol :)

RiceMonster
October 23rd, 2009, 01:34 PM
What phonon backend are you using? I had some apps that wouldn't play sound (TuxGuitar mainly) when I was using gstreamer but switching to xine solved that problem (as well as sound problems that emerged with Amarok)

hoppipolla
October 23rd, 2009, 01:37 PM
What phonon backend are you using? I had some apps that wouldn't play sound (TuxGuitar mainly) when I was using gstreamer but switching to xine solved that problem (as well as sound problems that emerged with Amarok)

I shall try that! :)

EDIT -- Owh it's already using Xine ._. I wonder what the problem is... maybe it's something to do with my soundcard setup.

lovinglinux
October 23rd, 2009, 01:48 PM
I use mixed apps and don't have problems. In Jaunty I removed pulseaudio completely and installed esound, but in KDE Karmic the only sound setup that is working for me is with Pulseaudio. In fact it is working pretty well, without extra CPU load like in Jaunty.

You could try to go to "System Settings >> Computer Administration >> Multimedia" and moving Pulseaudio to the top of the list for every option available there (including the top ones in the tree). This stopped the warnings and fixed any audio issue I had.

AlphaLexman
October 23rd, 2009, 01:53 PM
I have had some sound issues here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1269030 as I have all (k/x)ubuntu on my machine.

I still have that problem, I just had to resort to using media player.

hoppipolla
October 23rd, 2009, 01:54 PM
That's a good thought I like that, as actually I may have fiddled with that before I can't remember, and PulseAudio was actually at the BOTTOM for everything, which may have been the problem.

Let's see if this is any smoother, thanks both of you :)

lovinglinux
October 23rd, 2009, 02:36 PM
That's a good thought I like that, as actually I may have fiddled with that before I can't remember, and PulseAudio was actually at the BOTTOM for everything, which may have been the problem.

Let's see if this is any smoother, thanks both of you :)

Just keep in mind that I'm still learning the KDE stuff, so a lot of tweaks I do (including this one) is trial and error. I have HDA intel card and it was constantly failing and falling back to "Playback/recording through the Pulseaudio server" so I thought it could solve the problem by moving Pulseaudio to the top of the list. It worked, but I guess there is probably a better way of setting the sound system.

hoppipolla
October 23rd, 2009, 02:37 PM
Just keep in mind that I'm still learning the KDE stuff, so a lot of tweaks I do (including this one) is trial and error. I have HDA intel card and it was constantly failing and falling back to "Playback/recording through the Pulseaudio server" so I thought it could solve the problem by moving Pulseaudio to the top of the list. It worked, but I guess there is probably a better way of setting the sound system.

meh, whatever.. if it works it works! :)

lovinglinux
October 23rd, 2009, 02:42 PM
meh, whatever.. if it works it works! :)

That's true :)

xuCGC002
October 23rd, 2009, 02:50 PM
This seems to be a problem either with only the apps you're running or the hardware you're using. Running Gtk+ and Qt apps together works perfectly for me (Firefox playing Youtube video + Amarok playing music).

hoppipolla
October 23rd, 2009, 03:35 PM
This seems to be a problem either with only the apps you're running or the hardware you're using.

It's probably down to settings, not apps or hardware. My hardware is standard and so are my apps lol