PDA

View Full Version : xml vs html vs flash website?

abhilashm86
October 23rd, 2009, 06:21 AM
i find xml very dynamic and rich, many portfolio websites are in flash(makes sometimes ugly).

I decided and tried making a website in html, but it lacked the elegance, richness and no much user rich experience??
i showed my website on a localhost to my friends, but they quiet din't like style of html??

so can xml along with CSS can deliver a rich web page, just for personal website, i hate readymade templates on web( but first website i did on freewebs!!)
my website will contain information about opensource softwares, basic linux stuff, some tutorials, videos..........

also does making a website in flex a good idea? since swf files are in webserver, search engine will not show the contents of swf...........

shadylookin
October 23rd, 2009, 06:50 AM
If you don't need dynamic content then flex is probably overkill. You can make a good looking site with just html and css

myrtle1908
October 23rd, 2009, 07:36 AM
my website will contain information about opensource softwares, basic linux stuff, some tutorials, videos..........

To be honest, for what you have listed above, you don't need any "bells and whistles". Remember, less is more. As long as your site is easy to read (yes that means correct spelling, grammar and the like) and easy to navigate then you should be fine. Don't worry about trying to "wow" your friends.

Reiger
October 23rd, 2009, 11:21 AM
Yes it is possible to combine XML with CSS. It sort of depends on the browser how it treats the document -- but if it doesn't work straight away you can convert the XML using XSLT to XHTML.

mike_g
October 23rd, 2009, 12:56 PM
also does making a website in flex a good idea? since swf files are in webserver, search engine will not show the contents of swf...........
Modern search engines can crawl through swfs, but I dont like flash for anything more than games, framing videos, or simple presentation slideshow things.

My biggest problem is that flash sites never behave how you expect them to as far as forms and stuff go. Its also a pain when they take ages to load.

abhilashm86
October 23rd, 2009, 02:20 PM
Modern search engines can crawl through swfs, but I dont like flash for anything more than games, framing videos, or simple presentation slideshow things.

My biggest problem is that flash sites never behave how you expect them to as far as forms and stuff go. Its also a pain when they take ages to load.

+1, i took a trail for flash, it sluggish and not good for portfolios, now i decided to go with xml............
will be soon back with my website......

abhilashm86
October 23rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
To be honest, for what you have listed above, you don't need any "bells and whistles". Remember, less is more. As long as your site is easy to read (yes that means correct spelling, grammar and the like) and easy to navigate then you should be fine. Don't worry about trying to "wow" your friends.

thanks for pointing about it, yes some people care more about looks and feel, since most of my friends are less know about web n technologies, they reacted like that!!

AlexC_
October 23rd, 2009, 05:16 PM
i showed my website on a localhost to my friends, but they quiet din't like style of html??

No, they didn't like the design/style of the website you created. Just because you used HTML doesn't mean they don't like the style of HTML (and, HTML doesn't have a style).

Any HTML+CSS+JS site can look fantastic, and rival Flash based websites. Using a good framework such as jQuery can help you do great things with JavaScript to make the end-user experience far greater than just plain HTML+CSS.