PDA

View Full Version : No 1 Software

shadowfax1
October 22nd, 2009, 11:32 PM
Not sure whether this is the right place or not but I gotta tell somebody that 9.10 is nothing short of awesome. I've been a windows user since 3:1 and more recently win 7 beta and RC1 and this program blows the doors off it. The developers of this software and the hundreds if not thousands of people that have imputed into its development need to be commended for their hard work and without financial reward which is the part that blows me away. On a day where microsoft is rolling out their latest release at $300 a crack here is a just as good if not better alternative

My only hope is that I don't find myself waking up from a dream and that people keep the principle of Ubuntu alive.

Thankyou

hoppipolla
October 22nd, 2009, 11:36 PM
That's wicked man I'm glad you like it! Hopefully with quality releases like this (and the next LTS coming in April of next year) we should see Ubuntu and Linux increase in popularity :)

juancarlospaco
October 22nd, 2009, 11:40 PM
Cracks for Window 7 dont work anymore ATM, reboot and get blocked.

earthpigg
October 22nd, 2009, 11:53 PM
The developers of this software and the hundreds if not thousands of people that have imputed into its development need to be commended for their hard work and without financial reward which is the part that blows me away.

i dont want to rain on your parade, sir or madam, but that is not entirely true.

Linus Torvalds is a millionaire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus_Torvalds#Later_years).

IBM has spent and made billions on Linux development (http://news.cnet.com/2100-1001-825723.html) (so their supercomputer and mainframes sold with Linux preinstalled will run better). these linux developer's are employees of IBM and get paid.

Red Hat and Novell both contribute a heck of a lot of time, effort, and money on it.

Mark Shuttleworth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Shuttleworth)'s $10,000,000 investment includes hiring and paying programmers and developers. Ubuntu is not a charity, it's a wealthy man's investment.

et cetera.

the belief that Linux is primarily a "hobbyist's game" is what certain proprietary operating system vendors would have companies believe, so that those companies will think it's a joke, avoid it, and continue purchasing certain proprietary operating systems...

hobbyist developers working for free certainly exist, but many (most? the vast majority?) of the big improvements happen because of big money.

my little project in my sig is certainly "without financial reward", as you put it, but there is no way in hell it would have happened without Mark's $10,000,000 pet project that we all know and love as "Ubuntu" (among other things).

hoppipolla
October 22nd, 2009, 11:56 PM
hobbyist programmers working for free certainly exist, but many of the big improvements happen because of big money.

yeah but there are a LOT of hobbyist programmers lol

forrestcupp
October 23rd, 2009, 12:05 AM
Ubuntu is not a charity, it's a wealthy man's investment.It's somewhat a charity. Mark used Free Software in the process of getting very rich, so he wanted to give back to the Free Software community by creating Ubuntu and always offering it for free.

True. And there are a lot of them who work on major projects. It's only the lead devs who get paid. There are a lot of other devs who help out and don't get paid a dime.

BTW, you should just put "lol" in your sig so you don't have to keep typing it every time. :)

earthpigg
October 23rd, 2009, 12:08 AM

there certainly are, but 10 guys getting paid that are thus working 50 hours a week on it are likely going to do a helluva lot more than 100 guys working 5 hours a week for free in their spare time.

concentration of effort.

don't get me wrong: the guys putting in 5 hours/week are certainly an essential part of the pure awesome that we all use day-to-day, and i am very grateful to them and their efforts...

(Apologies in advance for typing something America-Centric on an international discussion forum...)

i like to think of the American Militia and Guerrilla units during our Revolution.

they certainly contributed a great deal to victory, but no matter how you slice it you can't get to the Surrender of General Cornwallis without the efforts of General Washington's full time professional Army.

absent a professional Army, is a protracted guerrilla war lasting decades until the King gives up and brings his troops home realistic? very possible. In fact, we have that in the Free Software world, too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnu_hurd

shadowfax1
October 23rd, 2009, 12:28 AM
At the end of the day we can probably all point to something that made us pay for the item we acquired either directly or indirectly...Hell I own an IBM laptop. But its not very often you get something for nothing upfront especially when comparables cost hundreds...

hoppipolla
October 23rd, 2009, 12:53 AM
At the end of the day we can probably all point to something that made us pay for the item we acquired either directly or indirectly...Hell I own an IBM laptop. But its not very often you get something for nothing upfront especially when comparables cost hundreds...

Yeah exactly :)

Additionally, you get to enjoy your free bi-annual upgrades to the latest versions, and your choice of whatever desktop environment suits your needs!

lethalfang
October 23rd, 2009, 01:38 AM
there certainly are, but 10 guys getting paid that are thus working 50 hours a week on it are likely going to do a helluva lot more than 100 guys working 5 hours a week for free in their spare time.

concentration of effort.

don't get me wrong: the guys putting in 5 hours/week are certainly an essential part of the pure awesome that we all use day-to-day, and i am very grateful to them and their efforts...

(Apologies in advance for typing something America-Centric on an international discussion forum...)

i like to think of the American Militia and Guerrilla units during our Revolution.

they certainly contributed a great deal to victory, but no matter how you slice it you can't get to the Surrender of General Cornwallis without the efforts of General Washington's full time professional Army.

absent a professional Army, is a protracted guerrilla war lasting decades until the King gives up and brings his troops home realistic? very possible. In fact, we have that in the Free Software world, too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnu_hurd

I agree, and this is factually verified.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/14576/who_writes_linux_big_business

"To be exact, while 18.2% of Linux is written by people who aren't working for a company, and 7.6% is created by programmers who don't give a company affiliation, everything else is written by someone who's getting paid to create Linux."

Those 18% is of course valuable, but an army of volunteers isn't enough to create a OS that I (and most other users) can use everyday without pulling my hair out.

The combined resources, both in hours and dollar amounts, I bet far exceed what Microsoft can afford to put into their Windows.

fillintheblanks
October 23rd, 2009, 01:41 AM

concentration of effort.

labor of love > slave labor.

mivo
October 23rd, 2009, 01:53 AM
On a day where microsoft is rolling out their latest release at $300 a crack here is a just as good if not better alternative

Right, $300.

forrestcupp
October 23rd, 2009, 01:56 AM

We could debate whether or not General Washington could have done it without the support of the militia.

murderslastcrow
October 23rd, 2009, 01:56 AM
Karmic really is pretty badass. So easy to use it'll make post-installation stuff a breeze even for dummies. And things will only continue to improve. Don't you just love Open Source!?

earthpigg
October 23rd, 2009, 01:57 AM
labor of love > slave labor.

i was not aware that there was no middle ground between the two, or that there was no possibility for someone to work on something for multiple reasons...

example: Joe Developer Six Pack that takes the lower paying open source development job with a crummy medical plan over the higher paying job with full medical coverage at a proprietary software company.

defining the word "love" is something i am not particularly qualified to address, but surely the guy above is demonstrating some degree of affection towards what he labors on?

earthpigg
October 23rd, 2009, 02:02 AM
We could debate whether or not General Washington could have done it without the support of the militia.

i would actually find that quite an interesting debate, but i suspect the moderators would put a stop to it.

here we go: http://atarchive.gotdns.org:8080/UtopiaForums/boardthread?id=politics&thread=25769 <-- that forum does not have rules against profanity and the like. be warned. no need to wait for email confirmation or anything before you post. dream up a username and password, and use it. if no one else has the user name, your account will be made on-the-fly.

murderslastcrow
October 23rd, 2009, 02:09 AM
Semper Fizzle man Nizzle. Utopia Talk. XD

hoppipolla
October 23rd, 2009, 12:09 PM
man this thread's getting dull xD

I think the point is, Linux/Karmic rocks and a lot of people have volunteered their time to aid in making it so awesome ^_^

nothingspecial
October 23rd, 2009, 01:42 PM
i dont want to rain on your parade, sir or madam, but that is not entirely true.

Linus Torvalds is a millionaire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus_Torvalds#Later_years).

IBM has spent and made billions on Linux development (http://news.cnet.com/2100-1001-825723.html) (so their supercomputer and mainframes sold with Linux preinstalled will run better). these linux developer's are employees of IBM and get paid.

Red Hat and Novell both contribute a heck of a lot of time, effort, and money on it.

Mark Shuttleworth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Shuttleworth)'s $10,000,000 investment includes hiring and paying programmers and developers. Ubuntu is not a charity, it's a wealthy man's investment.

et cetera.

the belief that Linux is primarily a "hobbyist's game" is what certain proprietary operating system vendors would have companies believe, so that those companies will think it's a joke, avoid it, and continue purchasing certain proprietary operating systems...

hobbyist developers working for free certainly exist, but many (most? the vast majority?) of the big improvements happen because of big money.

my little project in my sig is certainly "without financial reward", as you put it, but there is no way in hell it would have happened without Mark's $10,000,000 pet project that we all know and love as "Ubuntu" (among other things).

No, no you`re wrong

There’s something called ‘Ubuntu’ which is launched next week. It’s a whole sort of little community of enthusiasts building operating systems for absolutely nothing and trying to persuade us that we don’t need to be in with the big boys but actually most computer users frankly they don’t want to bother with that sort of stuff they want something that’s there

That`s from the BBC, everybody trusts what the bbc say don`t they?

We`re just a little community of enthusiasts, nobody gets paid to develop linux.........

doomsword2001
October 23rd, 2009, 01:48 PM
That's wicked man I'm glad you like it! Hopefully with quality releases like this (and the next LTS coming in April of next year) we should see Ubuntu and Linux increase in popularity :)

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
it seems there's a standard small increase since 2003. who knows, it may be 50% in 10 years. i see lots of people quiting windows. also lot of schools using ubuntu.