PDA

View Full Version : Using Code::Blocks

sidious1741
October 22nd, 2009, 11:10 PM
To start out, I am not familiar with code blocks. When I make a new file and add it to a project I am asked what debug target it should belong to. Because I don't understand the question I made a test project with the main file being under both targets (debug/release) and test.cpp and test.h under none. The only file I can see in the "Projects" thing on the left side of the window is main.cpp (however all the files I created are still open, I just can't re-open them with the "Projects" thing). But what confuses me even more is that Build>Selected Target has Debug selected on all three files. For two of the files I didn't select a debug target and for one of the files I selected two debug targets.

sidious1741
October 23rd, 2009, 04:58 PM
I'm good now. I finally figured out what a build target is.

KillToFeel
October 23rd, 2009, 05:03 PM
Might I recommend you giving Netbeans 6.5 a try?
It's worth a look, if you simply must program in an IDE.

sidious1741
October 26th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Might I recommend you giving Netbeans 6.5 a try?
It's worth a look, if you simply must program in an IDE.

You may recommend Netbeans, I wont stop you. However I would need to know why before I just simply dive in blindly. I now figured out my prob with Code::Blocks so I'll be using that for C++ unless someone convinces me otherwise. When I first went looking for a free non-Visual-Studio C++ compiler, I had many options. Since I knew very little about any of my options, just one recommendation from one person made a difference because I started with nothing (I have transitioned from full-time Windows to full-time Ubuntu within a year).

mikejonesey
October 26th, 2009, 03:04 PM
what libaries are you using in code::blocks? (gtk/wxwidgets/none or other)?

please

sidious1741
October 26th, 2009, 08:18 PM
what libaries are you using in code::blocks? (gtk/wxwidgets/none or other)?

please

Well the project I am currently working on does not need a GUI. I could figure out how to use a gui library but I currently don't have the need to.

mikejonesey
October 26th, 2009, 08:50 PM
ohh, :( thanks anyways, (i was hoping you would say gtk), Iv'e managed to get c++, code::blocks + wxwidgets compiling but can't for the life of me get gtk (gtkmm) to compile with either code:blocks or anjuta.