PDA

View Full Version : 1 Mbps enough for youtube HD?

rajeev1204
October 22nd, 2009, 08:28 PM
Hi

Iam going to downgrade my 2 Mbps connection to a 1 Mbps line due to unlimited bandwidth offer on the latter.

But is this enough to watch youtube and other HD content online?

rajeev

Crunchy the Headcrab
October 22nd, 2009, 08:30 PM
Hi

Iam going to downgrade my 2 Mbps connection to a 1 Mbps line due to unlimited bandwidth offer on the latter.

But is this enough to watch youtube and other HD content online?

rajeevI have a 1.5Mbps connection and try to avoid HD streaming video.

insane_alien
October 22nd, 2009, 08:42 PM
you probably won't be able to stream it in realtime, but if you leave it for a bit and then come back to it it will be fine.

Koosti
October 22nd, 2009, 09:47 PM
Depends on your definition of "enough". It will load the videos eventually, but will you be able to stream then straight away without letting it buffer for a while. No, you won't be...

I'm on a 1 Mbps line at the moment and I can't stand how sluggish it is. Upgrading once I can find a suitable one...

-grubby
October 22nd, 2009, 09:51 PM
You do realize, though, that the difference between 2 mbps and 1 mbps is the difference between 250 kb/s and 125 kb/s, right?

Genius314
October 22nd, 2009, 10:03 PM
I'm sure it wouldn't be too bad. I have 1.5Mbps. HD videos usually only need a few seconds head start, and then they're fine.
At most, you'll have to wait maybe 20-30 seconds before starting a video. If you really get unlimited bandwidth for that speed, it might be worth it.

(*No guarantees, though... :P)

infestor
October 22nd, 2009, 10:59 PM
i have 250 mbps and i guess i have slightly more speed then 2-8 mbps connections...why? 'cos it all depends on youtube server's bw