PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Boot for Ubuntu and WinXP/Win7

ltHank
October 22nd, 2009, 06:57 PM
I currently have a desktop that is running Ubuntu 8.10 64bit. I'm looking to install Windows XP on it to dual boot with - however, the install of WindowsXP is only so I can use an upgrade install of Windows7 and save some cash (I've heard you can use the upgrade disk to make a clean install over XP and it is cheaper than buying a regular disk).

What is the best way to go about this? I'm not averse to reinstalling Ubuntu either; I've heard you should install it second when doing these kinds of things, I'm just hoping there is a reasonable way to avoid that.

earthpigg
October 22nd, 2009, 07:42 PM
the easiest way (but not the 'most correct', some will say):

install windows, upgrade windows, get whatever you want to get done in windows done and final.

then run defrag a few times and go ahead and install ubuntu.

one thing you could consider, since you may be doing a fresh install anyways, is that ubuntu 9.10 is coming out around Halloween... maybe wait a few weeks so you can have the latest and greatest of both windows and ubuntu?

the 'most correct' way, some would say, is to leave ubuntu in place, go ahead and install/upgrade windows, then re-install GRUB afterwards. (windows installs and upgrades have a habit of eradicating anything kept in the Master Boot Record that is not from Microsoft, without asking the user, and replacing it with the Microsoft equivalent of GRUB - which will not easily recognize or work with Linux...)

reinstalling GRUB isn't difficult per se, but it does involve command line stuff. there are how-to guides and whatnot all over these forums and google.

ltHank
October 22nd, 2009, 09:50 PM
I do think I will wait until 9.10 comes out, actually, that's a good idea! And thanks for the response, that's what I figured but I thought it best to check. I'll probably look up how to reload the GRUB and see if that seems too tricky for me. Wish me luck!