PDA

View Full Version : Creative offer a webcam that support Linux !

FMaz008
October 22nd, 2009, 04:22 PM
Some will say that it was already possible to make a creative webcam works. But still many people were having trouble and really waited for a user-friendly solution.

Recently, Creative released a model that come with a Linux support.
The Creative Socialize HD.

Yes, we can read in the requirements:

* Intel® Pentium® 4 2.4GHz or AMD Athlon™ equivalent processor at 2200 MHz
* Microsoft® Windows® 7 32-bit or 64-bit / Windows Vista® 32-bit or 64-bit with Service Pack 1 / Windows XP Professional x64 Edition / Windows XP with Service Pack 2
* Apple® Macintosh® OS X 10.5
* Linux® Kernel 2.6
* 512 MB RAM
* USB 2.0 port
* 500 MB free hard-disk space
* CD-ROM Drive

For now, it seem like the only available model that officially display his support for Linux. So I though it my worth to spread the news a little bit...

Source:
http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=218&subcategory=219&product=19008&nav=3

Dragonbite
October 22nd, 2009, 04:46 PM
That is something that will help Linux gain popularity, having vendors list when it is Linux compatible!

It informs people that they don't have to give up their peripherals if they use Linux, and it lets them know Linux is a choice or option for operating systems.

The Linux community needs to make or validate a reason for manufacturers to include Linux on their Requirements listing. The easiest way to do this is increase the sales of the products that include it, and let them know that that is the reason why the product is purchased (whether or not it will be used on a Linux system).

For example, if I am looking at a product and one says it is Linux compatible then I am going to be much more inclined to purchase that one over some other popular-branded one even if it works with Linux out-of-the-box.

Hey, somebody should start a sight that lists products which include this "works with Linux" label so Linux users can choose those products over the ones only "supposed to" or "can work with" Linux (whether or not it requires some additional files).

Cam42
October 22nd, 2009, 04:48 PM
Hey, somebody should start a sight that lists products which include this "works with Linux" label so Linux users can choose those products over the ones only "supposed to" or "can work with" Linux (whether or not it requires some additional files).
I'd be willing to help with that if anyone wants to.

hoppipolla
October 22nd, 2009, 04:50 PM
That's wonderful, this is getting so cooool! Ubuntu is the main reason for all this :)

FMaz008
October 22nd, 2009, 04:51 PM
That is something that will help Linux gain popularity, having vendors list when it is Linux compatible!

If by "sight", you mean "site", I might be willing to help:
I'm a PHP/MySQL programmer, and I also speak French.
But I don't have the time to input/validate/moderate all the products...

kevin11951
October 22nd, 2009, 05:09 PM
Quick gimp mock-up of a support sticker:

hoppipolla
October 22nd, 2009, 05:21 PM
Quick gimp mock-up of a support sticker:

Can we please use this tux? ^_^

It's my favourite!

http://internetunix.com/images/dell_laptop_tux_small.jpg

In fact, can we use that for XSplash :D lol

blueturtl
October 22nd, 2009, 05:38 PM
I haven't thought very highly of Creative, but I've bookmarked that cam in case we ever need to find a Linux-compatible web cam! In fact my current web cam is a Creative model...

Dragonbite
October 22nd, 2009, 05:44 PM
I haven't thought very highly of Creative, but I've bookmarked that cam in case we ever need to find a Linux-compatible web cam! In fact my current web cam is a Creative model...

My current webcam is a Microsoft, but that is only because I won it in a raffle.

The idea of a "shopping list" of compatible devices is very appealing. That way could have a list of compatible (or mostly compatible) things on my Christmas list!

As opposed to the digital camera my parents gave my son, or his chess game that mostly works under Wine, or the drawing tablet that works like a mouse and not a tablet...

Tibuda
October 22nd, 2009, 07:44 PM

I got a Kingston Flash Drive that says "Linux" alongside Windows and Mac in the box.

Cam42
October 22nd, 2009, 08:40 PM
I think it'd be cool to have a few categories

Works out of the box
Works with drivers
unofficially works out of the box
unofficially works out of the box with drivers

Obviously the last two would need to be tested.

Dragonbite
October 22nd, 2009, 09:02 PM

Works out of the box
Works with drivers

My first thoughts were White List = the manufacturer has the conviction (a.k.a. the "balls") to put it on their box. These would be the vendors to promote. Grey List = products that work with Linux pretty well but don't say it anywhere. Most peripherals that work now would fall under that category. Black List = those that do not run with Linux even with tweaking.

And then in the details section (like the grey) can have some indicators of what you need (drivers), how well it works, etc.

This, though, would help to promote those vendors willing to say "we work with Linux", rather than a heavy technical resource.

Whether it works or not out of the box and how well it works is the subject of many HCLs (Hardware Compatibility Lists). It would be cool to be able to consolidate all that information into one spot but that's also a moving target.

Then again, a list where somebody can link a product to a tutorial that goes over how they got it working would be pretty cool too.

FMaz008
October 22nd, 2009, 09:04 PM

Works out of the box
Works with drivers

Work with driver is not enough clear.
I've hear my current webcam might work if I recompile my kernel an do a bunch of stuff I don't understand.

"Work with drivers" should be easy as install a .ded package. Zero command line.

"Unofficially works with drivers" whould be for those who want to do things that include "make install" :popcorn:

Cam42
October 22nd, 2009, 09:05 PM
* White List = the manufacturer has the conviction (a.k.a. the "balls") to put it on their box. These would be the vendors to promote.
* Grey List = products that work with Linux pretty well but don't say it anywhere. Most peripherals that work now would fall under that category.
* Black List = those that do not run with Linux even with tweaking.

I see what you did there.
This is a really great idea. I don't think we'd have to include mouses or keyboards, unless there's something really special about them.

Anyone else think that this could take off?

FMaz008
October 22nd, 2009, 09:09 PM
I personnally often searched for easy to use HCL. And I've found none that was easy to understand because the one I've found was not intented for common users.

So yes, a simple concept like those suggested here would be really great, and I think I could work.

Cam42
October 22nd, 2009, 09:17 PM
Maybe we could have a section containing what all works with the specific product.
This could involve the manufacturer supplied software, and how it compares to the windows or mac versions, or for the gray list, what hardware works.
For example: A webcam with microphone. Recording software is included with the Windows and Mac versions of the software, but not the Linux version.
OR: if the webcam is on the gray list, whether or not the mircophone works. Did that make sense?
EDIT: Another example, This one more real life.
I have two very similar printers, both have the same drivers. I used the CD to install the drivers on my windows box, and it had scanning software, a limited photo editor, and whatnot. I downloaded the Linux drivers from the Lexmark website, and all it is are the drivers. No crapware.

dragos240
October 22nd, 2009, 09:20 PM
Sorry to comment on the title but you could say:

"Creative offers a webcam that supports Linux!"

Not

"Creative offer a webcam that support Linux !"

FMaz008
October 22nd, 2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the comment, I just made the correction.
(English is not my native language...)

hoppipolla
October 22nd, 2009, 09:44 PM
Sorry to comment on the title but you could say:

"Creative offers a webcam that supports Linux!"

Not

"Creative offer a webcam that support Linux !"

o.O They sound SO similar to me! lol

jaxxstorm
October 22nd, 2009, 09:52 PM
Could we not just make a Wiki?

Workswithlinux.com?

pwnst*r
October 22nd, 2009, 09:54 PM
now let's just see how many here buy it.

FMaz008
October 22nd, 2009, 10:00 PM
Domain Name: WORKSWITHLINUX.COM
Created on: 08-Dec-08

Registrant:
Sean Fuller
121 McGivern Way
Santa Cruz, California 95060
United States

Dragonbite
October 23rd, 2009, 02:26 PM
Domain Name: WORKSWITHLINUX.COM
Created on: 08-Dec-08

Registrant:
Sean Fuller
121 McGivern Way
Santa Cruz, California 95060
United States

Is that your's?

FMaz008
October 23rd, 2009, 03:23 PM
No :(

Dragonbite
October 23rd, 2009, 03:36 PM
Some available:

workswithlinux

.org
.biz
.us

supportslinux

all

linuxcompatible

.info
.biz
.us

A wiki would be a good way of doing it, with a certain number of people who can update it as they see or hear about a product. Be best if it could be verified (online even).

FMaz008
October 23rd, 2009, 03:41 PM
I would have prefered a site where user would login with their profile, and then vote for a hardware status (with the possibility of leaving comment)

A wiki might be great, but it will be hard to make stats out of that, and I think it might become a little messy with info like:

"Work of you do this [...]"

Dragonbite
October 23rd, 2009, 04:11 PM
I would have prefered a site where user would login with their profile, and then vote for a hardware status (with the possibility of leaving comment)

A wiki might be great, but it will be hard to make stats out of that, and I think it might become a little messy with info like:

"Work of you do this [...]"

A Wiki or an actual (MySQL) database would be good for keeping track of the products being listed. The advantage of a database, though, is making it easy to search by vendor, make, model, etc. or by category (webcam, tablet, etc.) and level of support (white, grey, etc.)

Each category would include link to product page on manufacturer's site for further specs a "Customer review" like section for user feedback (good, bad and ugly)
In the categories there would be room for additional information.

WHITE LIST maybe connection to Amazon or Floogle or something for actual purchasing the item or where to find it
GREY LIST link to a wiki page or some tutorial (on site or elsewhere) on how to make it work in Linux
This would be unnecessary if the packaging doesn't state it (keeping it from the White List) but works out of the box anyway If somebody is working on making it work, could also include the project link or information on contacting the person?
BLACK LIST a "Working alternatives" list of products that do essentially the same thing and works with Linux

These are just ideas I've come up with.

Cam42
October 23rd, 2009, 05:36 PM
So the question here I see is, Should we allow users to create profiles? I think if we did that, Users could be given a reputation of sorts, IE: If their product doesn't work, but they say that it does, their rep goes down.

Also, When I first heard this idea, I thought of something almost like http://gdgt.com . A page for the product, discussions for the product, and a ranking of how well it works.