PDA

View Full Version : Kde 4.x demonstrates choice is not a usability problem

praveesh
October 22nd, 2009, 02:40 PM
I found an article at http://dot.kde.org/2009/10/21/kde4-demonstrates-choice-not-usability-problem interesting . What do you think ? Please see that article and comment .

hoppipolla
October 22nd, 2009, 03:41 PM
*reads* ^_^

-- Two points so far - I love 95% of stuff about KDE but I must admit, I don't like the way it pops up a menu simply for dragging and dropping (this can often slow you down o.O) and I'm not a huge fan of the "Configure Toolbars" window (I think this would be much better integrated if you could "Unlock" things and then simply drag around the buttons like you can with the toolbars.

*keeps reading* ^_^

Yeah the rest is cool! And I agree! I love the way KDE gives me the choice and control over my desktop to do what I want, but is still very, very friendly :)

It's perrrrfect! ^_^

zugu
October 22nd, 2009, 04:09 PM
I find it hilarious and ironic at the same time that the dialog window in the second screenshot of the article has a horizontal scrollbar. The items in the list are cramped together, there's no space between the icons. KDE at its best.

CJ Master
October 22nd, 2009, 04:23 PM
I find it hilarious and ironic at the same time that the dialog window in the second screenshot of the article has a horizontal scrollbar. The items in the list are cramped together, there's no space between the icons. KDE at its best.

Obvious flamebait is obvious.

OpenGuard
October 22nd, 2009, 04:25 PM
*reads* ^_^

-- Two points so far - I love 95% of stuff about KDE but I must admit, I don't like the way it pops up a menu simply for dragging and dropping (this can often slow you down o.O) and I'm not a huge fan of the "Configure Toolbars" window (I think this would be much better integrated if you could "Unlock" things and then simply drag around the buttons like you can with the toolbars.

*keeps reading* ^_^

Yeah the rest is cool! And I agree! I love the way KDE gives me the choice and control over my desktop to do what I want, but is still very, very friendly :)

It's perrrrfect! ^_^

As long as your reply contains at least one "but", it's ain't perfect.

JillSwift
October 22nd, 2009, 04:25 PM
I read the article, and I can't decide if I like it. Really, too many choices between "hate it" and "love it". I'm paralysed with indecision. :P

NormanFLinux
October 22nd, 2009, 04:28 PM
KDE was intended to unleash the power of Linux for home users and has fulfilled that objective. If you were afraid of Linux because it was to difficult to install and involved messing around with obscure commands, KDE made it really usable with the first GUI desktop for Linux. Its gotten better and it will continue to improve.

hoppipolla
October 22nd, 2009, 04:28 PM

Most pedantic post ever lol

KDE 4 is still wicked no matter how much trivial minutiae you level at it xD

BrokenKingpin
October 22nd, 2009, 05:57 PM
Good article.

I myself am a Gnome user. I did try KDE 4.2, and I have to say I like it a lot more than KDE 3.x. From a visual standpoint it can be touched... it is simply stunning to look at.

I also really like how customizable it is. Unfortunately it seems like it takes me ages to get it configured the way I like, where as Gnome seems a lot more comfortable for me out of the box. Also, I like the Gnome applications more than I like the KDE alternatives.

When Gnome 3 comes out I will probably re-evaluate which DE I use. I have high hopes for Gnome 3 (much more than some people seem to have), but if it does fall short I will probably make the switch to KDE until it catches back up.

praveesh
October 22nd, 2009, 06:21 PM
KDE was intended to unleash the power of Linux for home users and has fulfilled that objective. If you were afraid of Linux because it was to difficult to install and involved messing around with obscure commands, KDE made it really usable with the first GUI desktop for Linux. Its gotten better and it will continue to improve.

I agree .

praveesh
October 22nd, 2009, 06:28 PM

there's nothing in this world that's the most perfect . So , it's ok , sir .

OpenGuard
October 22nd, 2009, 06:35 PM
there's nothing in this world that's the most perfect . So , it's ok , sir .

Openbox is perfect .. for me. Is it perfect for you ? Maybe .. How about dwm ? It's almost perfect .. just not recommended for home users.
Everything depends on what you understand with the term "perfect" - speed ? appearance ? functionality ? ..

hoppipolla
October 22nd, 2009, 06:50 PM

I like to express constructive criticisms :)

hoppipolla
October 22nd, 2009, 06:52 PM
Good article.

I myself am a Gnome user. I did try KDE 4.2, and I have to say I like it a lot more than KDE 3.x. From a visual standpoint it can be touched... it is simply stunning to look at.

I also really like how customizable it is. Unfortunately it seems like it takes me ages to get it configured the way I like, where as Gnome seems a lot more comfortable for me out of the box. Also, I like the Gnome applications more than I like the KDE alternatives.

Try 4.3.2 :) Trust me it's a huge improvement, it's even a fairly large improvement over 4.3 and that was only about 2 months ago!

praveesh
October 22nd, 2009, 07:00 PM
Openbox is perfect .. for me. Is it perfect for you ? Maybe .. How about dwm ? It's almost perfect .. just not recommended for home users.
Everything depends on what you understand with the term "perfect" - speed ? appearance ? functionality ? ..

best wishes .

OpenGuard
October 22nd, 2009, 07:19 PM
best wishes .

Thank you .. tomorrow ( in about 3 hours ) is my name day :lol:

P.S. - overall, I didn't really get the idea .. did I insulted someone or said something completely wrong ?

hoppipolla
October 22nd, 2009, 08:11 PM
Thank you .. tomorrow ( in about 3 hours ) is my name day :lol:

P.S. - overall, I didn't really get the idea .. did I insulted someone or said something completely wrong ?

your name day? what do you mean?

and no I'm cool with everything :)

Although I think saying I say but in everything is a little unfair! I say it because I am capable of balancing my views and seeing things from different angles!

Besides, in this post I used the word although ^_^

OpenGuard
October 22nd, 2009, 08:30 PM
your name day? what do you mean?

and no I'm cool with everything :)

Although I think saying I say but in everything is a little unfair! I say it because I am capable of balancing my views and seeing things from different angles!

Besides, in this post I used the word although ^_^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_day - check the part about Latvia ( as that's where I reside ) ;)

hoppipolla
October 22nd, 2009, 09:40 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_day - check the part about Latvia ( as that's where I reside ) ;)

oh yeah I see! I was brought up Christian so I have heard of it - my nan is very keen that her "feast day" be celebrated o.O heh :)

So... what do you do on a name day? lol

OpenGuard
October 22nd, 2009, 10:21 PM
oh yeah I see! I was brought up Christian so I have heard of it - my nan is very keen that her "feast day" be celebrated o.O heh :)

So... what do you do on a name day? lol

Trying to figure out why Skype can't connect to the internet ( Wine ) :lol:

hoppipolla
October 22nd, 2009, 10:28 PM
Trying to figure out why Skype can't connect to the internet ( Wine ) :lol:

and is that traditional or? ^_^

OpenGuard
October 22nd, 2009, 10:30 PM
and is that traditional or? ^_^

.. or ..

:lolflag:

P.S. - Let's stay on topic ..