PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Multi-touch ?

jeyaganesh
October 22nd, 2009, 02:01 PM
Does Ubuntu support multi-touch interface?

AllRadioisDead
October 22nd, 2009, 02:08 PM
I believe it's supported in the kernel.

3rdalbum
October 22nd, 2009, 02:59 PM
Funny answer: Nobody knows yet, there are no multi-touch screens available to try it on.

Serious answer: Multi-touch on touchpads can be done currently, but not for Apple-style uses (for instance, you can't zoom in and out by pinching, but you can swipe with multiple fingers to perform the "back" function).

Multi-touch is apparently supported in the kernel, but the main two places it needs to be supported are in X and in the desktop environments. X should have the infrastructure for multi-touch fairly shortly. *crosses fingers*. Once that is in place, I'm sure KDE will support it fairly quickly.

I think touch screens are one of those things that sounds great, until you actually try using it. I hate trying to clean the screen of my X-series Walkman whenever I want to watch a video, because the screen is clogged with fingerprints. Now imagine trying to do your work with fingerprints all over your monitor. Bad. Very bad.

Multi-touch is one of those "Hey wow this is cool" things, but I honestly don't think it will take off on the desktop.

Bölvağur
October 22nd, 2009, 03:54 PM
it's already here.
there was a thread made by a guy looking for people to help him develop some program for it and improve multi touch/pointer, if I remember correctly.

But it isn't in the version ubuntu is using and will not be in ubuntu by default until 10.04 probably.

even though x does have multi pointer action going on right now, it dose come with a prize, and that is it isn't straight forward to set up and you might break your system trying to get it to work.

*added*
world of goo has support up for 4 pointers, which means you can have 2 touch screens on top of each other (like a removable screen you put on the monitor)

jeyaganesh
October 22nd, 2009, 05:11 PM
I hate trying to clean the screen of my X-series Walkman whenever I want to watch a video, because the screen is clogged with fingerprints.

Thanks all!
But I heard that iPhone (i think also HTC) uses some sort of anti-finger print screen.

cguy
October 22nd, 2009, 05:21 PM
Could be like that anti-scratch screen: it's ok until it scratches :)

gemblungcc
October 27th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Anyone have try this?
http://www.lii-enac.fr/en/projects/shareit/linux.html

Dark_Stang
October 27th, 2009, 08:08 AM
It supports multi-touch touchpads... I know this because my HP laptop, for whatever reason, has a multi-touch synaptics pad. I've been two finger scrolling ever since I found that out.

phrostbyte
October 27th, 2009, 08:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olWjnfBoY8E

Note the date of the video. Multitouch support in Linux has been around for awhile.

But the multitouch support you see in this video is not actually included in Ubuntu's X.org, so the answer to does Ubuntu support multitouch is no. But since the newest version of X.org is bundling MPX, Ubuntu 10.04 (the next version) will most likely have multitouch support built in.