PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Swap Partitioning-2 or more hdd

donato roque
October 22nd, 2009, 01:41 PM
I'm fresh installing Ubuntu 9.10 when it comes out, and I'm refreshing my knowledge on properly partitioning my 3 hdds.

Am I correct to create a swap partition on each of the hard drives? I don't dual boot and my HOME is on a separate partition. This is just a home desktop.

Thank you. I appreciate your answers and opinion.

wamanning
October 22nd, 2009, 03:33 PM
will you have multiple OSes installed concurrently?

if you do, and each OS is on a separate drive/partition, it makes sense for each OS to have it's own swap partition on the same physical drive as the host OS. that said, there's nothing technically to preclude each OS's unique /etc/fstab reference a common swap partition - as long as the OSes cant be booted up concurrently!

if you have just one OS installed, but bits spread across multiple drives/partitions then you only need the one swap file as referenced in /etc/fstab

IMO it makes sense to have a dedicated swap for each drive/partition where you have an OS installed.

dandnsmith
October 22nd, 2009, 03:49 PM
Several years back I noticed that, where I'd created swap for 2 installs on different HDDs, both swaps were getting 'mounted' for use.

I don't know whether this is general behaviour nowadays.

dabl
October 22nd, 2009, 03:59 PM
Am I correct to create a swap partition on each of the hard drives?

I would say "no", although I'm not sure "correct/incorrect" is the right paradigm for the topic.

The installer will find and set up all swap partitions on all drives that are present during installation. Therefore, there is normally no reason to have more than a single swap partition of sufficient size on a given computer, regardless of the number of hard drives and partitions. Having more than that adds complexity, but no performance enhancement. :)

donato roque
October 22nd, 2009, 04:36 PM
Thank you for the reply.
No need to worry then. Just have to know what the installer is doing.