PDA

View Full Version : Bill Gates plans to murder passwords

Sirin
February 14th, 2006, 09:23 PM
http://news.com.com/Gates+sees+end+to+passwords+in+sight/2100-7355_3-6039177.html?tag=nefd.top

This guy is finally trying to think up something original! :eek:

Stormy Eyes
February 14th, 2006, 09:29 PM
And failing. Didn't Sun Microsystems have a line of computers that required a smart card for login and sent your data and settings to whichever machine had your card in it?

Sirin
February 14th, 2006, 09:32 PM
And failing. Didn't Sun Microsystems have a line of computers that required a smart card for login and sent your data and settings to whichever machine had your card in it?

Precisely. Tell him that.

http://toastytech.com/evil/nukebill.jpg

TTT_travis
February 14th, 2006, 11:15 PM
yeah I know there is a way todo this already, even if theres not I could easily write a login script for like OS X (not sure about ubuntu) that checks a smart card to see if there is a file that contains a certain encrypted string, I *think* some larger schools have a similar method using a special credit card like thing.

TTT_travis
February 14th, 2006, 11:19 PM
also by the looks of it, it will use proprietary crap, so that means no workie on firefox which eliminates allot of the actual people that would use it, like geeks, and no workie on OS X and Linux, if we can use a standard smartcard or usb thumb drive for this it would be nice, but knowing microsoft they will probably make you use some of their crap.

Bandit
February 14th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Military is already using smart cards.
I freaking hate using the damn thing.

Brunellus
February 14th, 2006, 11:23 PM
also by the looks of it, it will use proprietary crap, so that means no workie on firefox which eliminates allot of the actual people that would use it, like geeks, and no workie on OS X and Linux, if we can use a standard smartcard or usb thumb drive for this it would be nice, but knowing microsoft they will probably make you use some of their crap.
In the marketplace nobody cares about firefox and linux--they're minority operating systems that are only used by geeks, communists, and other undesireable (and likely unwashed) elements

What I worry about though is that this will be integrated into compulsory biometric ID cards....

I agree, though; the free community should be pushing some sort of equivalent solution. We want industry to go GNU.

Brunellus
February 14th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Military is already using smart cards.
I freaking hate using the damn thing.
Solaris, or Windows?

Bandit
February 15th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Solaris, or Windows?
Win2K. Military subcontracts everything through a bunch of washed out idiots. (other words ex military IT people).

TechSonic
February 15th, 2006, 01:22 AM
That security idea is very old. I have a smartcard reader for even getting past the bios.

My security designed so if someone steals my computer, it's worthless to them.

Sirin
February 15th, 2006, 02:47 AM
Solaris, or Windows?

Who hates using Solaris? :D

PatrickMay16
February 15th, 2006, 03:06 AM
Precisely. Tell him that.

http://toastytech.com/evil/nukebill.jpg
Hahaha! It's that picture from the toastytech.com rant page!
Man, I love that page.

While I'm at it, I doubt this would catch on for home users. I dunno about businesses, though.

vayu
February 15th, 2006, 08:00 AM
What happens if you're riding your bike home from cm and you get caught in one of those rainstorms that drenches you as completely as if you had jumped in a swimming pool and your smart card is now toast, or what if you're a wealthy financial district tycoon that was held up for 10 minutes by cm and you're so distracted by your fury that when you get gas you simply lose the card?

Let me guess.. You have to call M$, give them your mothers maiden name, plus some other personal demographic info, and then they will unlock your computer for you.

What fun would controlling access to the content on peoples computers be without controlling access to their hardware too?

mstlyevil
February 15th, 2006, 08:05 AM
What happens if you're riding your bike home from cm and you get caught in one of those rainstorms that drenches you as completely as if you had jumped in a swimming pool and your smart card is now toast, or what if you're a wealthy financial district tycoon that was held up for 10 minutes by cm and you're so distracted by your fury that when you get gas you simply lose the card?

Let me guess.. You have to call M$, give them your mothers maiden name, plus some other personal demographic info, and then they will unlock your computer for you.

What fun would controlling access to the content on peoples computers be without controlling access to their hardware too?

I have an Idea to solve that problem. They could plant a smart chip under your skin on your right hand or forehead. Maybe Bill Gates is the Anti-Christ.

Bandit
February 15th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Smart cards are sealed pretty good. I have never had one ruin on me.
You never know there was a chip in the card unless you noticed the copper connectors located in the center bottom of the card.
The security scanners at the checkout registers at wall-mart are a bitch on them tho..
Cheers,
Joey

nocturn
February 15th, 2006, 08:55 AM

You mean the sunrays?

Yes, but they're not computers, they are thin clients. You are actually all logged in to a main server, the sunrays just provide an X server and special software to map their local ports to virtual devices on the server.

BoyOfDestiny
February 15th, 2006, 10:01 AM
I have an Idea to solve that problem. They could plant a smart chip under your skin on your right hand or forehead. Maybe Bill Gates is the Anti-Christ.

Oh, like RFID chips? That reminds me, I should renew my passport before october... SInce those little chips will be in the passports (U.S that is) afterwards...

EDIT: Who knew... just about 9 days ago:

Some Voluntarily Implant RFID Tags Under Their Skin
http://www.privacy.org/archives/001737.html

somuchfortheafter
February 15th, 2006, 12:12 PM
That security idea is very old. I have a smartcard reader for even getting past the bios.

My security designed so if someone steals my computer, it's worthless to them.

couldnt they just remove the battery and wait for the bios to reset?

red_Marvin
February 15th, 2006, 04:02 PM
couldnt they just remove the battery and wait for the bios to reset?

Isn't bios, or parts of it non-volatile like eeprom?