PDA

View Full Version : Big Surprise here....

KingBahamut
February 14th, 2006, 08:52 PM
"ZDNet is reporting that Daniel Robbins, the founder of Gentoo Linux, has left his job at Microsoft after only eight months. From the article: 'The reason I decided to leave had to do with my specific experiences working in Microsoft's Linux Lab,' says Robbins. 'I wasn't able to work at my full level of technical ability and I found this frustrating'"

External Link
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,39252292,00.htm

Now you know, I realize the Robbins was running into money trouble, but that was no reason to pick up a job as Microsoft. Still his statements of frustration and irritation dont surprise me. I find it hard to believe that in hiring Robbins that MS would allow him to function to the full level of his ability. Would be the same if Linus were to work for MS as well (Shudder the thought of course , because we all know it would never happen).

Whats interesting about this is that I have heard through the vines that many developers dont like working for MS because of its stifiling of efforts in many directions. I suspect this is similar to the types of aggreements one has to sign say in working for Sega or EA or whatever , only on a much larger scale.

prizrak
February 14th, 2006, 08:59 PM
I actually know a few people working there. The culture is very stressful, you are basically expected to be devoted 120% to the company and w/e you are doing. They expect you to like program in your sleep.

mstlyevil
February 14th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Typical large corporation that if you work for them they want you to sell your soul to them. I have worked both for small busineses and large corporations and I will take the climate of a small business any day.

aysiu
February 14th, 2006, 09:39 PM
If you work in Open Source on your own project, you get almost total freedom, as I understand. When you have a severe disagreement, the project forks. When Microsoft controls things--it's their way or the highway...