PDA

View Full Version : Email Hosting

igknighted
October 22nd, 2009, 07:03 AM
<long story>

The owners of the store I work at have decided that finally we don't need to get our own personal gmail/yahoo/etc accounts for work email, and will get email through the store. However, the local computer shop has convinced the owners that they will provide a more secure email at the cost of $5/user (estimated 10-15 users at any time). However, our website is currently hosted by iPower who provides email with our web hosting plan.

</long story>

So... does anyone have any thoughts on the email provided by web hosts such as ipower? Could a local computer service company really provide something worth the $5/user/month cost? And if the answer is as obvious as I would think, any links to something more reputable than the random blogs google keeps pulling up to back that up? Thanks all.

Rainstride
October 22nd, 2009, 07:13 AM
<long story>

The owners of the store I work at have decided that finally we don't need to get our own personal gmail/yahoo/etc accounts for work email, and will get email through the store. However, the local computer shop has convinced the owners that they will provide a more secure email at the cost of $5/user (estimated 10-15 users at any time). However, our website is currently hosted by iPower who provides email with our web hosting plan.

</long story>

So... does anyone have any thoughts on the email provided by web hosts such as ipower? Could a local computer service company really provide something worth the $5/user/month cost? And if the answer is as obvious as I would think, any links to something more reputable than the random blogs google keeps pulling up to back that up? Thanks all.

you could set up you own personal mail server on one of the store comps or add it to the site server.

diesch
October 22nd, 2009, 07:17 AM
I would compare the guaranteed reliability, storage volume, filtering capabilities and what else is important for you. And think about what happens if they are not able to fulfil their guarantees.

igknighted
October 22nd, 2009, 07:22 AM
you could set up you own personal mail server on one of the store comps or add it to the site server.

While that makes 100% sense and would be my first choice, it is not really an option here due to lack of access to the machines. Also, the server room (aka poorly ventilated broom closet) really can't hold another machine.

Rainstride
October 22nd, 2009, 07:37 AM
While that makes 100% sense and would be my first choice, it is not really an option here due to lack of access to the machines. Also, the server room (aka poorly ventilated broom closet) really can't hold another machine.

doesn't have to be anything big. could be an older laptop(just so long as the hardware can be on at all times.). just throw on ubuntu then the server software and mail software. I forget completely who to do it. but i know there is a thread in the cafe that could tell you. ill try to find and link it.

jaxxstorm
October 22nd, 2009, 07:55 AM
Personally, I'd get it hosted at Google Apps. Point your MX record at Google and you'll still at username@yourdomain.com but with all the useful features of Gmail. Then you don't have to wrry about uptime etc as Google will handle it all for you. really useful.

Rainstride
October 22nd, 2009, 07:59 AM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MailServer

any desktop with an internet connect in the building would work also as far as i know.

asifsid
October 22nd, 2009, 08:49 AM
<long story>

</long story>

try GoDaddy hosting and email, they are pretty cheap and good as well