PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Reinstalling NVidia graphics drivers

Vyse86
October 22nd, 2009, 06:32 AM
I'm currently using Ubuntu with an NVidia graphics card. After installing the system, everything went fine, but after the first automated update the graphics driver was busted. Another person from the place I work in installed an older version from source, and everything was fine again.

Today, Ubuntu decided it was time for automatic updates again and after the forced restart, the graphics driver was busted again. i wouldn't mind low graphics mode (it looks crappy, but it's functional) but I'm working on a software project that uses some fancy OpenGL stuff to visualise things, and it doesn't even start in low graphics mode.

I have a file called "NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-185.18.36-pkg2.run" on my desktop and I know that was what we installed last time. Sadly, I don't know how to do it and the person who knows doesn't have time to fix my system after every automatic update. so, I have two questions:

1) How do I install the package named above (link to a tutorial is fine if you can find one)? EDIT: He showed me again and I took notes this time, so I should be fine when it happens again.
2) How do I keep Ubuntu from automatically installing untested software on my computer? I need to work here and it's stealing my time.

Jimmyfj
October 22nd, 2009, 09:14 AM
What version of Ubuntu do you have? And some more specs on your hardware would also be helpful in order so resolve your issues.