PDA

View Full Version : The YouTube BETA channels

edin9
October 22nd, 2009, 01:26 AM
Does anyone here who uses YouTube hate these things?

Excedio
October 22nd, 2009, 01:35 AM

I don't follow...example?

Squonk07
October 22nd, 2009, 01:37 AM
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! I'm all for innovation, except when the end result is not as functional as the previous one and is forced on me arbitrarily. When I search through a person's channel, I would like it to default to Grid View. No dice. I have to set that option each and every time I view a channel. And if I left-click on any video--poof! Back to Player View (instead of opening in a separate tab). If I click the Back button when I'm done watching, I get shot back to the top of the page again. If a channel has over 400 videos and I wanted to watch through a series near the middle, I have to scroll down again and find it.

The only way around it is to right-click and open in a separate tab. Normally I give new things a chance and I don't have the knee-jerk reaction some people do to change, but the YouTube Beta channels are IMHO a PITA. I wouldn't mind so much if there were ways for me to customize behavior, but there aren't. I can make my OWN channel default to Grid View, but not other peoples'.

Incidentally, anybody notice lingering annotations? (i.e. Though a new video is playing, the annotations from the previous one appear--this only seems to happen in the Player View.)

dragos240
October 22nd, 2009, 01:50 AM

Yes. Very hard to navigate. But worst of all. They have forced us to switch over and abandon our old more reliable, more organized channels. I absolutely hate it! And also. In the video about this change made by the youtube channel itself has 1.5 stars as a rating. And comments flaming youtube. I do not even believe they are listening to us. After all. The comment that was said by the team was "Thank you all for your helfpul feedback!"

edin9
October 22nd, 2009, 01:53 AM
Yes. Very hard to navigate. But worst of all. They have forced us to switch over and abandon our old more reliable, more organized channels. I absolutely hate it! And also. In the video about this change made by the youtube channel itself has 1.5 stars as a rating. And comments flaming youtube. I do not even believe they are listening to us. After all. The comment that was said by the team was "Thank you all for your helfpul feedback!"

You mean the feedback that was basically 'we hate it, f*ck you YouTube' for about 1000 pages of comments? XD

dragos240
October 22nd, 2009, 02:00 AM
You mean the feedback that was basically 'we hate it, f*ck you YouTube' for about 1000 pages of comments? XD

Check for yourself. And yes. Log on any day to that video, and you'll see the comments, all of them are negative. Most of them threatening. I have seen at least 30 comments threatening to kill the creator of youtube. And some saying they'll burn down their establishment.

Kraust
October 22nd, 2009, 02:04 AM
I don't think they're Beta anymore being that everyone has them now. I really don't like it because I finally had a Youtube page that I liked how it looked. The new pages are really ugly to me and hide my non-repeating background. I'd have to upload the BG again if I wanted to make it look good.

I also don't like the video thing like you've suggested.

edin9
October 22nd, 2009, 02:05 AM
Check for yourself. And yes. Log on any day to that video, and you'll see the comments, all of them are negative. Most of them threatening. I have seen at least 30 comments threatening to kill the creator of youtube. And some saying they'll burn down their establishment.

I meant the blog. There were thousands and thousands of those comments, but I forgot that they closed it and hid the comments.

3rdalbum
October 22nd, 2009, 04:21 AM
My god, I can't believe you're complaining about small things like that.

How about the big banner ads that appear across the bottom of the video, especially when Youtube recognises that a particular song has been used in the video? The banner is like 70 pixels high, and the video itself is only 240 pixels.

And then there's people putting little bits of text on their videos, pointing out things that they think are relevant, or just advertising their own websites. It's easily as annoying as using Windows for an hour and having to play "whack-a-mole" with the notifications coming from the System Tray.

edin9
October 22nd, 2009, 04:23 AM
My god, I can't believe you're complaining about small things like that.

How about the big banner ads that appear across the bottom of the video, especially when Youtube recognises that a particular song has been used in the video? The banner is like 70 pixels high, and the video itself is only 240 pixels.

And then there's people putting little bits of text on their videos, pointing out things that they think are relevant, or just advertising their own websites. It's easily as annoying as using Windows for an hour and having to play "whack-a-mole" with the notifications coming from the System Tray.

AdBlock.

3rdalbum
October 22nd, 2009, 04:53 AM
AdBlock.

No AdBlock for Opera; and it doesn't stop the little tags anyway.

Squonk07
October 22nd, 2009, 04:59 AM
No AdBlock for Opera; and it doesn't stop the little tags anyway.

AdBlock Plus is seriously the main reason I use Firefox. I'd be interested in supporting Chrome development, except that its own adblocking plug-in doesn't work nearly as well as AdBlock Plus--it's actually too sensitive, blocking important page elements by mistake.