PDA

View Full Version : giving out free computers

towsonu2003
February 14th, 2006, 07:15 PM
This is very bright. They are giving out refurbished linux desktop computers for 24 hours of volunteer service. Found from digg, the link of the news item:
http://news.designtechnica.com/featured_article46.html

ppl who do this: http://www.freegeek.org/

This should become a standard recycling policy! I wish I had the knowledge to do this stuff in my country...

Lovechild
February 14th, 2006, 07:45 PM
I would love to set up something like this here, lots of schools and such could use extra machines and geeks are always throwing out "old" hardware..

TrendyDark
February 14th, 2006, 07:55 PM
I would love to set up something like this here, lots of schools and such could use extra machines and geeks are always throwing out "old" hardware..

What geek do you know that throws out old hardware? I have 2 computers that are older than me in a closet and once i get a new computer the one I have is becoming a server for my house. ;)

Lovechild
February 14th, 2006, 07:58 PM
What geek do you know that throws out old hardware? I have 2 computers that are older than me in a closet and once i get a new computer the one I have is becoming a server for my house. ;)

Maybe they have closets full of servers, or just only needs one machine - who knows, the geek works in mysterious ways.

My primary computer is about 6-7 years old, parts mostly come from machines people trashed.

TrendyDark
February 14th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Maybe they have closets full of servers, or just only needs one machine - who knows, the geek works in mysterious ways.

My primary computer is about 6-7 years old, parts mostly come from machines people trashed.

Yeah, haha, we do work in mysterious ways.

My primary computer is only about 3-4 years old hardware wise, but I just got it 6 months ago. I want to build a new dualcore PC, but I'm a little broke lol.\\:D/

Lord Illidan
February 14th, 2006, 08:04 PM
I think he was referring to gamers... I too find it preferable to recycle older computers. I think this is for a very good cause, too.

EDIT : Also, old computers don't neccesarily degrade in performance. Slap DSL on a pentium 2 or Celeron, and it will run satisfactorily..