PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] were are the setup file?

waleedakleh
October 21st, 2009, 08:36 PM
after adding applications from the add/remove... are the setup files saved somewhere on my hard disk??? & if so were can i fined those setup files??
thanks in advanced.

earthpigg
October 21st, 2009, 08:49 PM
can you be more descriptive about what you wish to do?

"setup files" could mean many things... what do you want to setup?

waleedakleh
October 21st, 2009, 08:56 PM
can you be more descriptive about what you wish to do?

"setup files" could mean many things... what do you want to setup?

when adding a program from the applications => add/remove, it starts downloading packets(setup file) from the internet were are these files downloaded?? on my hard disk
(example: when downloading a file from a web page you specify were to download that file)i want to know were can i fined the setup file are downloaded on my hard drive throw the add/remove

earthpigg
October 21st, 2009, 09:03 PM
ah, i understand now.

the ubuntu equivelent of a "setup.exe" file is a .deb package.

those are kept in /var/cache/apt/archives/

it is generally not suggested that you 'manually' play around with those, though.... whatever you want to do, it is almost certain there is a tool that will do the mucking around for you and give you the result you desire with a minimal amount of fuss.

if your question was more than idle curiosity, let us know and we will point you to the tool that can help you.

diesch
October 21st, 2009, 09:04 PM
The packages are saved to /var/cache/apt/archives/

waleedakleh
October 21st, 2009, 09:10 PM
i have backtrack 4 pre release and i want the setup file for alsamixergui that i downloaded on ubuntu to copy it to a flash drive and download it in backtrack 4 because im having problems downloading it on backtrack so i am thinking about copying it from ubuntu to backtrack thats all