PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean a cpu fan?

4th guy
October 21st, 2009, 02:39 PM
This is not my PC, but I'm doing a favour for one of dad's friends. I have opened the case, removed the fan and cleaned the outside with a tissue. Yet, when I put everything back in place I hear a funny noise coming from the fan. The noise reminds me of a fan that can go faster but has something working against it. Any ideas?

Skripka
October 21st, 2009, 02:48 PM
Silly question, did you re-apply thermal compound?

koshatnik
October 21st, 2009, 02:48 PM
I use the blower I use for cleaning the inside of my cameras. Works a treat.

jaxxstorm
October 21st, 2009, 02:53 PM
I usually use a can of compressed air.
However, if the fan is making a rattling noise, chances are you haven't reattached it properly, rather than it being unclean.

4th guy
October 21st, 2009, 03:05 PM
I usually use a can of compressed air.
However, if the fan is making a rattling noise, chances are you haven't reattached it properly, rather than it being unclean.

It is making a rattling noise, but no matter how much time I take the screws off and reattach them the same noise sounds.

j.bell730
October 21st, 2009, 03:15 PM
I just had the same problem after I vaccuumed my computer, then used an air compressor for the rest. It turns out, I needed to oil the fan on my motherboard, but it was tough because it was slightly enclosed, and there was no way to put oil in the right spot. Well, after a few tries, I must've got it right, because the noise is gone.

CharmyBee
October 21st, 2009, 03:19 PM
Huge air compressor never failed for me.

KeLa
October 21st, 2009, 03:29 PM
If fan is old and you clean it and put it back and checked that there is no wires or anything else touching the blades of the fan and it makes weird noises still then buy new fan (bearings housing are have wear out and after removing all dust it starts make all kind of noises)
I have experienced that couple of times.
Best way to clean fan is to not take it out but just use compressed air only to the blades of the fan)

OpenGuard
October 21st, 2009, 03:30 PM
I don't. Twice in a year, I simply remove it and replace with a new one.

KeLa
October 21st, 2009, 04:44 PM
That's to one way to go ;)
If you clean it twice a year it's ok but if you clean it twice a decade then it's better to buy new.

30 years ago when i was in school learning to repair television sets first thing that i learn was that if old tv set
has so much dust inside of it that you can't see colour of the components then don't clean it because after cleaning
it won't work fully as before.

coolbrook
October 21st, 2009, 05:09 PM
It depends on the fan. Was it moving when you cleaned it? Maybe you simply pushed it in the opposite direction that it normally rotates. I try to be careful with fans. I gently hold my finger down on the fan to keep it from moving and then used compressed air to clean its blades.

AlphaLexman
October 21st, 2009, 05:33 PM
I used a shop vac just a couple of weeks ago. It seemed the case fan was pulling in cat hair and the cpu fan was eating it.
Had to move the case so the cat can't get back there.

gn2
October 21st, 2009, 05:52 PM
Usually I would bin it and replace with a new one.

azumi123
October 21st, 2009, 06:46 PM
The best way to clean a fan is to get it up to full speed then
get your tongue really wet - then poke it in.

Fan blades taste yummy.

Az.