PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing from a partition

stef25
October 21st, 2009, 11:27 AM
Hi all,

I'm having some problems burning CDs at the moment and am wondering if it's possible to install Ubuntu FROM a partition? I currently have a thinkpad T40 with winxp on it (on the C drive) which I'd like to wipe.

Is it possible to put the extract the ubuntu iso on the D, run the install from there to wipe XP on the C drive and install Ubuntu in its place? once done the iso files can be removed from the D. So basically, using the D like a virtual CD drive.

Finally, this is a very general question but does Ubuntu work wel with netgear pcmcia cards to pick up wifi signals? the laptop doesnt come with built in wifi and I used this card successfully on XP.

Thanks,
Stef

Mark Phelps
October 21st, 2009, 02:26 PM
Don't know for sure about the first, but as to the second (WiFi), there are a couple of things you can do.

First, boot from a LiveCD of the distro you want and see how well it detects your netgear card and sets up WiFi for you.

Second, go to the networking forum and search using the model number of your netgear card. You're likely to find some posts dealing with results others have had regarding that card.

From personal experience, WiFi support has been a major weak spot of Ubuntu in general -- but there is lots of support available in the Networking subforum. You just have to look for it.