PDA

View Full Version : Source code management help

icodemonkey
October 21st, 2009, 07:12 AM
In the 15 years I have been coding for I have (and I'm sure a great many of you are in the same boat) collected a huge amount of source code, snippets, library's and HOWTOs.
now its getting hard to find a piece of code from amongst the thousands of files I have organised in a B.S.D.S. (Big Scary Directory Structure), I have tried a lot of solutions but have found none that fit my need:
*portable.
*easy to navigate.
*easy to edit. (add, delete and edit)
*easy import of files.

My question for the other codemonkeys out there is....

what app, method or system do you use to organise your source code library?

hessiess
October 21st, 2009, 08:18 AM
Just subversion + thunar

icodemonkey
October 21st, 2009, 09:38 AM
Just subversion + thunar
how portable is that system ie can it run off off a thumb drive / portable HDD?

hessiess
October 21st, 2009, 09:54 AM
how portable is that system ie can it run off off a thumb drive / portable HDD?

Subversion is mostly server side, but you need a client for it. All of the SVN clients I have found for Windows use the registry, which means that it may not run in a less privileged account. Thunar is just a file manager and can be substituted with Nartulas/ Explorer/Finder etc.

Git has poor support for Windows, both bzr and Mercurial are written in python, which would be a problem unless you can get the python interpreter running off an external drive. Darcs might work if you can Haskell to compile it statically.

myrtle1908
October 21st, 2009, 10:19 AM
Can't you simply place a CVS repo on a USB stick and check-in/check-out from home, work wherever. Fairly certain I did this many moons ago but have forgotten the details.