PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] g++/gcc errors

henkgeb
October 21st, 2009, 07:01 AM
hi,

I'm trying to intall my new x-fi xtreme audio soundcard on my ubuntu studio 64 machine.
While compiling, I got some errors like error 1, error 2 and ´size of array ‘type name’ is negative¨. I've already installed all source files of gcc and g++, but it doesn't matter. I compile it exactly the way described in the readme file.
I get the following output:

henk@henk-desktop:~/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00$ sudo make
[sudo] password for henk:
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.24-24-rt/build M=/home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-24-rt'
LD /home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/built-in.o
CC [M] /home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/xfi.o
CC [M] /home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctatc.o
CC [M] /home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctvmem.o
CC [M] /home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctpcm.o
/home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctpcm.c: In function ‘ct_alsa_pcm_create’:
/home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctpcm.c:462: warning: passing argument 2 of ‘snd_pcm_new’ discards qualifiers from pointer target type
CC [M] /home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctmixer.o
CC [M] /home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctresource.o
CC [M] /home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctsrc.o
/home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctsrc.c: In function ‘put_src_rsc’:
/home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctsrc.c:569: error: size of array ‘type name’ is negative
/home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctsrc.c:569: warning: comparison of distinct pointer types lacks a cast
/home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctsrc.c:576: error: size of array ‘type name’ is negative
/home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctsrc.c:576: warning: comparison of distinct pointer types lacks a cast
/home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctsrc.c: In function ‘put_srcimp_rsc’:
/home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctsrc.c:883: error: size of array ‘type name’ is negative
/home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctsrc.c:883: warning: comparison of distinct pointer types lacks a cast
/home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctsrc.c:887: error: size of array ‘type name’ is negative
/home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctsrc.c:887: warning: comparison of distinct pointer types lacks a cast
/home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctsrc.c: In function ‘srcimp_imap_add’:
/home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctsrc.c:916: error: size of array ‘type name’ is negative
/home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctsrc.c:916: warning: comparison of distinct pointer types lacks a cast
/home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctsrc.c:922: error: size of array ‘type name’ is negative
/home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctsrc.c:922: warning: comparison of distinct pointer types lacks a cast
/home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctsrc.c: In function ‘srcimp_imap_delete’:
/home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctsrc.c:936: error: size of array ‘type name’ is negative
/home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctsrc.c:936: warning: comparison of distinct pointer types lacks a cast
/home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctsrc.c:942: error: size of array ‘type name’ is negative
/home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctsrc.c:942: warning: comparison of distinct pointer types lacks a cast
/home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctsrc.c: In function ‘srcimp_mgr_destroy’:
/home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctsrc.c:1004: error: size of array ‘type name’ is negative
/home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctsrc.c:1004: warning: comparison of distinct pointer types lacks a cast
/home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctsrc.c:1006: error: size of array ‘type name’ is negative
/home/henk/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctsrc.c:1006: warning: comparison of distinct pointer types lacks a cast
make[2]: *** [/home/william/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00/ctsrc.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/william/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-24-rt'
make: *** [all] Error 2
henk@henk-desktop:~/Bureaublad/XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00$

Who can tell me what I'm doing wrong? help me, please...
thanks for reading.

edit:
my specs: amd athlon x2 4050e,
ubuntu studio 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-24-rt, GNOME 2.22.3

henkgeb
October 24th, 2009, 06:52 AM
nobody? Other files made by myselve won't compile.too.

MadCow108
October 24th, 2009, 11:12 AM
seems like a problem in the programs source (if you followed the instructions correctly, and ubuntu is a supported platform)
ask the developers of that program whats wrong.

kavon89
October 25th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Make sure you have build-essential installed. Other than that I think it's a problem with their code.

dwhitney67
October 25th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Make sure you have build-essential installed. Other than that I think it's a problem with their code.

I second this opinion; it looks like incompatible code for the current version of GCC that you are using. I've seen similar types of errors with code that I was able to compile under Ubuntu 7.10, but not with later versions. The version of Ubuntu is not really relevant, but the version of GCC that ships with it is.

Btw, not that it matters significantly, but when you compile a kernel module, you do not need to use 'sudo'. Only use 'sudo' when you need to install the .ko file in its proper place.

henkgeb
October 25th, 2009, 05:54 PM
all the build essentials are installed. I tried it with other source files too, but received the same errors like I posted.

I have also tried all versions available in the synaptic package manager, but it doesn't make sence. The latest version is 4.2, but the older versions are still installed. Maybe that's the problem?

thanks a lot for the replies.

edit: I've removed the older versions of gcc, and only 4.2 remains. tried again, but no differences.

edit2: also geany won't do the job. seems like a bug or something?

henkgeb
October 29th, 2009, 03:41 PM
all the build essentials are installed. I tried it with other source files too, but received the same errors like I posted.

I have also tried all versions available in the synaptic package manager, but it doesn't make sence. The latest version is 4.2, but the older versions are still installed. Maybe that's the problem?

thanks a lot for the replies.

edit: I've removed the older versions of gcc, and only 4.2 remains. tried again, but no differences.

edit2: also geany won't do the job. seems like a bug or something?

henkgeb
November 6th, 2009, 07:37 AM
help

MadCow108
November 6th, 2009, 10:51 AM
nobody can help you here
ask the developers

henkgeb
November 11th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I don't think it is an error in the source file. I've tried other source files too, also made by myself, and then I get the same errors. So there is something wrong with gcc of ubuntu I think.

dwhitney67
November 11th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I don't think it is an error in the source file. I've tried other source files too, also made by myself, and then I get the same errors. So there is something wrong with gcc of ubuntu I think.

Try this program...

#include <stdio.h>
int main() {printf("hello world\n");}

Report back whether you can compile it using:

gcc hello.c

MadCow108
November 11th, 2009, 07:47 PM

this is very unlikely.
gcc is used by millions of people and if bugs appear then almost always in very unusual circumstances.
But you can check the known bugs of gcc to see if you find something. I doubt you found a new one.
http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs/
but doing this is certainly a waste of time, I bet you the code (or the instructions to compile) is the problem.

maybe the program just wasn't written for gcc and uses non standard stuff not supported by gcc(aka non-portable)
in that case use the compiler it was written for.

henkgeb
December 17th, 2009, 07:07 PM
sorry for my late reaction. I've upgraded my system to ubuntu 8.10 and the source of dwhitney67 works... thanks dwhitney67!!! So I was hopefull and tried to compile the driver also. And it worked perfect!!! It was the first programme i've compiled since I work with ubuntu. My sound card works very well and I want to thank you all guys. You are great and you're the best community ever!!

If there are other people with this problem, the only thing I did change to make it work was upgrading my OS. The sourcefiles I used before were all OK, but they didn't compile. I dunno why.

thanks thanks thanks. you're great!!!