View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu with Kde sound problems

October 21st, 2009, 04:09 AM
Ok so i have been runing ubuntu is my OS for almost a year now. I have used a few other gnome linux distros temporarily but found that ubuntu was the best. I decided that trying kubuntu would be kind of an adventure as i had never used Kde before. I thought about adding another partition to put kubuntu on. Then i immediately thought that i could perhaps put kde on ubuntu since they are only desktop environments. I did a quick google of it and found out that I was correct in my assumption. http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kde I followed that and it works great. Now today i logged in with Kde and had no sound. After awhile of messing around i found out that the sound on ubuntu was off, and that made the kde sound off also. I tried logging into ubuntu and turning up the volume then logging out and into kde. No luck. Well to make an already long story short the only way i could find to get the sound working in kde was by logging into ubuntu, and turning up the volume, then restarting, then logging into ubuntu again. Then log out of ubuntu and into kde. My sound wasn't up very high on ubuntu this kde won't get very loud. And going through the roundabout way i stated earlier is not a fun method. Is there anything i can download, like say a package in the synaptic so that kde would have independant sound? Or maybe a gui or terminal configuration?

Thanks a ton in advance!

P.S. I found that i still like ubuntu better, but maybe it's that i'm so used to it. Either way i want kde working correctly.

October 21st, 2009, 10:32 AM
You should be able to access any Gnome applications from KDE. You could use gnome-alsamixer to control sound volumes from KDE and Gnome, although kmix does the job for me, despite of it's simplicity.