PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] thinking about switching from Windows XP to Xubuntu

aditya.us
October 21st, 2009, 12:02 AM
I'm thinking about switching from Windows XP to Xubuntu, but I had some questions about things on Xubuntu.

One of the main parts of my computer usage is using Adobe Flash websites, like YouTube, Pandora, and Flash Gaming like addictinggames.com.

Is it possible to use Adobe Flash on Xubuntu 9.04?
I tried installing Adobe Flash on the Xubuntu Live CD, but that didn't work. Is that because it's the live CD and i have not installed Xubuntu yet, or is my computer not compatible or something like that?

Thanks

sloggerkhan
October 21st, 2009, 12:12 AM
Adobe SHOULD work on a normal x86 computer. If you tried to install 32 bit flash on a 64 bit machine, it may not have liked it, though. Adobe does have 64 bit flash, but it's in beta, so probably not on their main site.

aditya.us
October 21st, 2009, 12:16 AM
no i have a 32-bit machine....well i think so, it's preety old( from 1998 ).

so adobe was probably not installing because i was running it on the live cd, and it probably had no place to save the files

the standard .deb installation should work on xubuntu, correct?
and do i just open the .deb file with the package manager and it will install automatically?

mikewhatever
October 21st, 2009, 12:18 AM
Adobe flash work ok on linux, but it's more cpu intensive then on Windows. It should work from the live cd, perhaps you didn't install it correctly.

aditya.us
October 21st, 2009, 12:20 AM
how do i install it correctly on xubuntu's live cd?

sloggerkhan
October 21st, 2009, 12:20 AM
no i have a 32-bit machine....well i think so, it's preety old( from 1998 ).

so adobe was probably not installing because i was running it on the live cd, and it probably had no place to save the files

the standard .deb installation should work on xubuntu, correct?
and do i just open the .deb file with the package manager and it will install automatically?

It's possible that you didn't have enough available resources on the live CD to install it, it's also possible that it requires CPU extensions that aren't available on '98 era machine. I can't really say. What kind of error messages do you get?

mikewhatever
October 21st, 2009, 12:22 AM
how do i install it correctly on xubuntu's live cd?

I usually use Synaptic, and you have to close firefox while installing.

aditya.us
October 21st, 2009, 12:24 AM
the computer is mainly used just for my daughter to use. She mainly just plays Webkinz on it, but it needs flash...and recently windows xp started getting the Blue screen of death on the computer, so im going to fix it for her by installing Xubuntu and then installing Adobe Flash.

My Specs:
Intel Pentium 3 Processor
640MB RAM

do you guys think the computer would be ok with xubuntu on it to do mild web browsing and for my daughter to play webkinz on?

aditya.us
October 21st, 2009, 12:30 AM
just a minute....lemme try synaptic

xxterry1xx
October 21st, 2009, 12:36 AM
I'm thinking about switching from Windows XP to Xubuntu, but I had some questions about things on Xubuntu.

One of the main parts of my computer usage is using Adobe Flash websites, like YouTube, Pandora, and Flash Gaming like addictinggames.com.

Is it possible to use Adobe Flash on Xubuntu 9.04?
I tried installing Adobe Flash on the Xubuntu Live CD, but that didn't work. Is that because it's the live CD and i have not installed Xubuntu yet, or is my computer not compatible or something like that?

Thanksthats what i did. i did windows vista to ubuntu but i still have windows vista on my other harddrive and ubuntu on the one im using now good thing is that i can play old games using wine which is awesome anyways add and remove should have flash if you have all applications selected in the combobox sun java runtime and sun java browser plugin and get adobe flash plugin and your all set

aditya.us
October 21st, 2009, 12:37 AM
the installation worked after i closed firefox

mikewhatever
October 21st, 2009, 12:51 AM
the computer is mainly used just for my daughter to use. She mainly just plays Webkinz on it, but it needs flash...and recently windows xp started getting the Blue screen of death on the computer, so im going to fix it for her by installing Xubuntu and then installing Adobe Flash.

My Specs:
Intel Pentium 3 Processor
640MB RAM

do you guys think the computer would be ok with xubuntu on it to do mild web browsing and for my daughter to play webkinz on?

A relative of mine used to run Ubuntu on a P3 750Mhz computer with 384 MB of RAM, and flash sucked. According to Adobe, you need at least a 1 Ghz cpu.

aditya.us
October 21st, 2009, 01:10 PM
yea i just read that on the adobe flash system requirements page....so i wont be able to do it, but i was reading some articles and many of them say there are open source versions of flash. Can you explain them to me? and Will those work on my slow PC?

mikewhatever
October 21st, 2009, 04:11 PM
Open source versions of flash are attempts to reverse engineer Adobe's technology. Unfortunately, all of them are still inferior to the original product.