PDA

View Full Version : OpenShot doing the Tango

Excedio
October 21st, 2009, 12:00 AM
Check is out. The newest version of OpenShot has a new Tango theme (http://www.openshotvideo.com/). Also, they are addressing the VLC dependency conflicts.

UPDATE: To get version 0.9.52 of OpenShot, you must use the .DEB installers or the Build Wizard. Our PPA is being fixed at the moment, and is not being updated until we can resolve some of the dependency conflicts with VLC.

I personally really like OpenShot. I think it's a pretty great prgram compared to the other movie editors available out there. However, when I upgraded to 9.04 I didn't get OpenShot installed again because of the Conflict with VLC. So I'm really glad to see that they are getting that squared away. :-)

sudoer541
October 21st, 2009, 01:05 AM
OMG! I love openshot! its the best video editor for Linux. It looks like its growing very fast. I like that!

for those who want to download it...l00k @ mY sIg:guitar:

Keyper7
October 21st, 2009, 01:20 AM
Damn OpenShot devs. If they keep doing everything I want them to do, what am I going to whine against?

Excedio
October 21st, 2009, 01:45 AM
We should all read this (http://www.openshotvideo.com/2009/10/5-ways-to-improve-your-favorite-open.html). It does not only apply to OpenShot, but all devs that work on things for free to give us what we have.

keiichidono
October 21st, 2009, 02:17 AM
Openshot is great, I remember when it was still a small project and PitiVi and Kdenlive were the only two good video editors. It's grown so much.

Excedio
October 21st, 2009, 02:20 AM
I'm really in love with it. I personally think that it's the best Video Editor available for Ubuntu.

3rdalbum
October 21st, 2009, 03:12 AM
Openshot is great, I remember when it was still a small project and PitiVi and Kdenlive were the only two good video editors. It's grown so much.

Since when has Pitivi actually been good? All it has ever been able to do is stitch together bits of video. No fades, no transitions, no effects, no superimposed type. I can't even get it to output finished video without AV sync issues, and yes I've tried it with the 9.04 repo version AND the PPA.

Openshot is also fairly basic, but unfortunately it's not usable for me yet as it can't work with long video clips. I think Openshot will become a fine product and I look forward to some competition with Kdenlive; I donated $21 to Openshot to bring it to the $201 donated mark :-)

keiichidono
October 21st, 2009, 03:30 AM
Since when has Pitivi actually been good? All it has ever been able to do is stitch together bits of video. No fades, no transitions, no effects, no superimposed type. I can't even get it to output finished video without AV sync issues, and yes I've tried it with the 9.04 repo version AND the PPA.

Openshot is also fairly basic, but unfortunately it's not usable for me yet as it can't work with long video clips. I think Openshot will become a fine product and I look forward to some competition with Kdenlive; I donated $21 to Openshot to bring it to the $201 donated mark :-)

I'm not saying it was very good. It was just the best at the time. I think I'm saying a lot here, think about it.

Excedio
October 22nd, 2009, 12:01 AM
Openshot is also fairly basic, but unfortunately it's not usable for me yet as it can't work with long video clips.

Have you tried emailing the creator to ask if this ability will be added soon or if it's even on the priority list?

I donated $21 to Openshot to bring it to the $201 donated mark :-)

Kudos on the donation...if I had money to donate, I would.

Squonk07
October 22nd, 2009, 01:08 AM
This is probably not really fair, but I just installed and ran it on Karmic Beta. It hung my system and refused to die even when using the 'kill' command in tty. I had to kill Xorg to get anywhere. This happens every time I run it.

So at least in my case, not quite ready. Then again, I'm on Karmic so I'm not going to judge too strongly on this experience. I look forward to following this program's progress and maybe actually using it sometime in the near future. ;)

Note: I didn't install from PPA, but from the provided .debs, which is why this isn't fair. On the other hand, if I were to use the PPA it would bork VLC, which I'm not willing to do.

Excedio
October 22nd, 2009, 01:33 AM
This is probably not really fair, but I just installed and ran it on Karmic Beta. It hung my system and refused to die even when using the 'kill' command in tty. I had to kill Xorg to get anywhere. This happens every time I run it.

So at least in my case, not quite ready. Then again, I'm on Karmic so I'm not going to judge too strongly on this experience. I look forward to following this program's progress and maybe actually using it sometime in the near future. ;)

Note: I didn't install from PPA, but from the provided .debs, which is why this isn't fair. On the other hand, if I were to use the PPA it would bork VLC, which I'm not willing to do.

If you would please file the bug report here (http://www.openshotvideo.com/2008/04/support.html). They will never know what just happened unless you tell them. :-)

Not saying because I don't think you wouldn't tell them, I just really love this project and want to see it flourish.

Also something to note...

Note: OpenShot has been tested with the following distributions of Linux:

Ubuntu 8.04 (32 & 64 bit)
Ubuntu 8.10 (32 & 64 bit)
Ubuntu 9.04 (32 & 64 bit)
The lack of 9.10 leads me to believe that they may not know about the problem you just encountered.

Squonk07
October 22nd, 2009, 01:44 AM
If you would please file the bug report here (http://www.openshotvideo.com/2008/04/support.html). They will never know what just happened unless you tell them. :-)

I'm going to wait until Karmic is at least in RC, and until OpenShot gets its PPA issues sorted, before doing that. If the issue still exists, then it exists for a stable OS and can then be attributed to the software itself and not a lingering issue of a beta OS. When Karmic is released I'll do a clean install (just to be sure) and install all my programs again. If this issue still persists in OpenShot then I'll happily report the bug.

P.S. I can see from the link in your signature that you really like this program. ;) I'll be happy to help out with its development in any way I can.

EDIT 9/23/09: There's a new bug for this problem. I commented and added my concurrence to the din, so hopefully something comes out of this. Anybody else experiencing the problem listed in my previous post should go here (https://bugs.launchpad.net/openshot/+bug/447561) for the bug.

Excedio
October 22nd, 2009, 01:50 AM
P.S. I can see from the link in your signature that you really like this program. ;) I'll be happy to help out with its development in any way I can.

Thanks for visiting. :-)

zekopeko
October 22nd, 2009, 02:09 AM

This is unfair to Pitivi. Pitivi isn't only a video editor but a project that wants to create solid foundation for future linux video editor.

Keyper7
October 22nd, 2009, 02:59 AM
Exactly. OpenShot is awesome, but it is important to keep things in correct perspective. The OpenShot developers are using a complete media editing framework (MLT) while the PiTiVi developers are building a video editor and the underlying multimedia framework (Gnonlin) simultaneously. And Jokosher shows that Gnonlin has quite good potential.

At the end of the day, we should thank both dev teams. Variety of options is a good thing.

3rdalbum
October 22nd, 2009, 04:09 AM
This is unfair to Pitivi. Pitivi isn't only a video editor but a project that wants to create solid foundation for future linux video editor.

Hmm... you're probably right there (about me not being fair) but Pitivi has been in development for years, and it still basically does the same things that it was doing when I tried it in 2006. And it doesn't do them any better as far as I can see. In the meantime, one developer working on Kdenlive has far surpassed what Pitivi can do. And one developer behind Openshot has surpassed Pitivi.

Have you tried emailing the creator to ask if this ability (long clips) will be added soon or if it's even on the priority list?

Good idea, and my bad for not raising a bug report (it seems to be more of an interface limitation than an actual processing limitation).

ad_267
October 22nd, 2009, 04:19 AM
Is there any advantage using OpenShot over Kdenlive other than better integration with Gnome?

As far as I know, both use MLT, and the Kdenlive developers also develop MLT. So it would seem that Kdenlive is likely to always be ahead of OpenShot.

Keyper7
October 25th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Is there any advantage using OpenShot over Kdenlive other than better integration with Gnome?

As far as I know, both use MLT, and the Kdenlive developers also develop MLT. So it would seem that Kdenlive is likely to always be ahead of OpenShot.

Well, I like OpenShot's interface better. I guess options are always good.

Plus, the developers of OpenShot have the blessing of the MLT/Kdenlive developers to work on OpenShot, and the communication between both teams is good, AFAIK.