PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions

Shibblet
October 20th, 2009, 11:47 PM
I remember when I got my first copy of Windows 95. I was wowed over the layout and style of the operating system, as compared to Windows 3.1

I also remember when I got a copy of XP, and was wowed over the layout, style, and functionality over Windows ME (98SE). I also remember the same thing with Vista. Wow, this looks amazing. Now remember that this impression is based entirely on looks.

I decided to run Ubuntu, and I have to say, I wasn't wowed by the initial look. It came across very similar to XP, which I was used to at that point.

I've been using Ubuntu for quite some time now. I recently switched to Kubuntu. Wow. Once again, this is an interface that truly looks professional, slick, clean, and workable. This might be why Windows 7's interface is similar.

So, the point of the above is, I think Ubuntu would be accepted as a more professional operating system if KDE was the default interface. Essentially making Kubuntu the flagship for Canonicial's distribution instead of Ubuntu.

Remember, First impressions are the most important.

fela
October 20th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Totally -1000 disagree. Only once hell had frozen over would Ubuntu make looks its top priority.

I want to run programs, not stare at my pretty menus taking forever to load. That's why I use Gnome. The only reason I use compiz is because it allows the use of things like the Gnome Do docky, which improve my productivity (as well as other compiz features).

But I do prefer KDE in some ways (as I prefer gnome in some ways) - e.g. its massive amount of configurability and features, and its good sense of innovation. I DON'T put looks on the list though. I couldn't care less what my desktop looks like.

Daveski
October 21st, 2009, 12:10 AM
Oh no - don't start a KDE vs Gnome war...

Bachstelze
October 21st, 2009, 12:15 AM
Only once hell had frozen over would Ubuntu make looks its top priority.

Pretty is a feature.

Looks like hell is frozen already...

lukjad
October 21st, 2009, 12:21 AM
Recurring discussions R us.

fela
October 21st, 2009, 12:25 AM
Looks like hell is frozen already...

Well don't look at me, I'm not affiliated with Canonical :P

Simian Man
October 21st, 2009, 12:26 AM
Ubuntu doesn't have to switch to KDE to improve its looks. How about starting with a default theme and wallpaper that doesn't suck?

I want to run programs, not stare at my pretty menus taking forever to load. That's why I use Gnome. The only reason I use compiz is because it allows the use of things like the Gnome Do docky, which improve my productivity (as well as other compiz features).
Gnome + Compiz definitely isn't significantly lighter than KDE. I'd even argue that it's heavier, though it is what I usually use myself.

fela
October 21st, 2009, 12:29 AM
Oh no - don't start a KDE vs Gnome war...

It takes two to lie: one to lie and one to listen.

Don't ask me where that came from.

The point is, spelling out potential arguments is a perfect way of starting arguments.

Shibblet
October 21st, 2009, 12:55 AM
Ubuntu doesn't have to switch to KDE to improve its looks. How about starting with a default theme and wallpaper that doesn't suck?

And you said it yourself, it's a start.

Originally Posted by sabdfl
Pretty is a feature.

Yes it is, a great selling feature. Ever wonder why Console game launch titles have the prettiest graphics and crappiest gameplay (i.e. King Kong XBox 360)?

And what sells Gnome? Compiz? KWin does most of the same effects without the problems. But I'm not going to get into that.

I am going to state quite simply that KDE "LOOKS" more professional (not better, that's relative to the user) than Gnome does.

I don't want to devolve this into a Gnome vs. KDE argument. I just think that Kubuntu is a more professional looking package, whereas Ubuntu (Gnome) tends to pander toward simplicity.

sudoer541
October 21st, 2009, 01:01 AM
I think the gnome programmers are doing a good job, they should make the DE more organized and easy on ram. They should also make it prettier if someone does not like it then he or she would chose a lighter theme etc.

earthpigg
October 21st, 2009, 01:04 AM
if GNOME v KDE was Germany v USSR in WW2, then i suppose i would be hanging out in Finland with LXDE...

im not a big fan of either. but when i can't get what i need 'natively' in LXDE, i turn to GNOME before even thinking about KDE.

fela
October 21st, 2009, 02:02 AM
Gnome + Compiz definitely isn't significantly lighter than KDE. I'd even argue that it's heavier, though it is what I usually use myself.

I just switched to metacity. It's not as bad as some people think it is. And I can do without compositing. I like to do things on the computer besides the operating system, so it's nice for the window manager to get out of the way. Besides, flash plays better without compositing.

Compositing is overrated :P

Simian Man
October 21st, 2009, 02:08 AM
I just switched to metacity. It's not as bad as some people think it is. And I can do without compositing. I like to do things on the computer besides the operating system, so it's nice for the window manager to get out of the way. Besides, flash plays better without compositing.

Compositing is overrated :P

I like compiz and don't find the need to turn it off for flash, games or anything else. I'm also not one of those people who like to use 1/8th of my computer resources (I still don't understand that).

I just feel that implying KDE was much slower than Gnome + Compiz is pretty unfounded.

mancha
October 21st, 2009, 02:38 AM
We have been here before, many times, so many.

tacantara
October 21st, 2009, 02:49 AM
I don't see the default Ubuntu theme going anywhere, except for minor tweaks, because Ubuntu is all about humanity. However, that theme is only a default theme, and it can be easily replaced.

Like the OP, I switched from Ubuntu to Kubuntu because I was impressed with the overall look. KDE is good, but has its quirks. Realizing that, I installed the GNOME package. Now, depending on my mood, I can go between the two and tweak the heck out of either to my liking. For instance, tonight I'm away from home. I couldn't access the Wi-Fi in the place I'm staying at when I booted to KDE, so I rebooted to GNOME and got wireless access almost instantly. A minor issue, but not enough to convince me that KDE is the worst thing. Ultimately, it's all about preference and personal choice.