PDA

View Full Version : People nearby (Empathy)

Bölvağur
October 20th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I would like to see more people that are using Empathy to log into "People nearby" (local-xmpp account).

When Im going out and cannot be bothered and the curtains are in the way so I cannot see out... I want to be able to spam people and ask if it is raining and how it looks like it is going to be.

hoppipolla
October 20th, 2009, 08:17 PM
rofl!

I use the people nearby thing on KDE but I have no IDEA what it is it just sits there with a picture of me and my name lol

What is it? o.O

Tibuda
October 20th, 2009, 08:19 PM
rofl!

I use the people nearby thing on KDE but I have no IDEA what it is it just sits there with a picture of me and my name lol

What is it? o.O

It allows you to chat with people in your local network. If you are on a public wireless network, you'll be able to talk with people using the network. In Pidgin, the protocol is named "Bonjour".

hoppipolla
October 20th, 2009, 08:22 PM
It allows you to chat with people in your local network. If you are on a public wireless network, you'll be able to talk with people using the network. In Pidgin, the protocol is named "Bonjour".

oh! But there's only 4 of us and we're all under the same roof lol, and they all use Winblows ._. heh

RiceMonster
October 20th, 2009, 08:25 PM
This thread reminds me of my college roommate who's bedroom room was literally right beside mine, and would send me messages over MSN asking if I wanted to go to the bar or something, when he could have just walked out his door then gone 2 steps to get to mine. It was kind of funny.

jaxxstorm
October 20th, 2009, 08:46 PM
This thread reminds me of my college roommate who's bedroom room was literally right beside mine, and would send me messages over MSN asking if I wanted to go to the bar or something, when he could have just walked out his door then gone 2 steps to get to mine. It was kind of funny.

The joy of University/College dorm rooms

Dragonbite
October 20th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Does every person available have to be on Bonjour/Emapthy? I assume that Bonjour is a Windows/other friendly protocol, but is it really used?

Crunchy the Headcrab
October 20th, 2009, 08:56 PM
This thread reminds me of my college roommate who's bedroom room was literally right beside mine, and would send me messages over MSN asking if I wanted to go to the bar or something, when he could have just walked out his door then gone 2 steps to get to mine. It was kind of funny.My girlfriend does this with her room-mates on facebook all the time.

Dragonbite
October 20th, 2009, 09:12 PM
My girlfriend does this with her room-mates on facebook all the time.

wireless didn't exist when we were in college...

hoppipolla
October 20th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Yeah I can imagine this being quite good on large networks and it's good to have, but usually you can just do it over a larger network such as MSN o.O

Nice to have though and I love the social desktop approach so anything that ties in with that gets a thumbs up from me :)

sudoer541
October 20th, 2009, 09:38 PM
uh oh! this thread sounds like a hacking/crime thread.

hoppipolla
October 20th, 2009, 09:43 PM
uh oh! this thread sounds like a hacking/crime thread.

it does? lol

zekopeko
October 20th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Does every person available have to be on Bonjour/Emapthy? I assume that Bonjour is a Windows/other friendly protocol, but is it really used?

Apple invented it and it's know on Linux as avahi-zeroconf or something like that.
It's great for discovering devices and people on local networks.

mcarasco
November 25th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Apple invented it and it's know on Linux as avahi-zeroconf or something like that.
It's great for discovering devices and people on local networks.

thats correct its from apple, also you can have bonjour in windows, by installing the bojour application in the apples site and use pidgin foe windows, then you will be able to interect with all mac/windows/linux user and devices using that protocol..

=)

the yawner
November 25th, 2009, 05:00 AM
Isn't it because of the Telepathy framework? I mean, I read Empathy is an extension of Telepathy.