PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] turning off desktop

tar1
October 20th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I'm new to the forum. Using the new Ubuntu beta I am trying to turn the desktop off so I can get different images on the four sides of the cube. Everything goes ok until I try to turn the desktop off in nautilus. Going to gconf-editor >apps>nautilus>show desktop. I get a series of loop like figures streaming across the bottom of the screen. These disappear when I repress the show desktop button. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

duanedesign
October 22nd, 2009, 10:22 PM
The 'show desktop' function toggles the visibility of icons on the desktop. If i understand corectly, it sounds like this is not what you are trying to do. Regardless it should not create "loop like figures".

Dullstar
October 22nd, 2009, 11:41 PM
Using the new Ubuntu beta I am trying to turn the desktop off so I can get different images on the four sides of the cube

I don't think this question has ever been answered throughout the many times it has been asked...

undecim
October 23rd, 2009, 12:44 AM
It seems to he that you are following a howto from somewhere. Basically the process to get 4 different wallpapers on 4 different sides of a cube involves turning off nautilus's "show desktop" feature and turning on the wallpaper plugin in compiz

Could you post a screenshot? this could potentially be a graphical glitch or something to do with compiz

tar1
November 3rd, 2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the three responses. I did find a work around that seemed to "cure" the problem-- a loop like series of "starting file manager" streaming across the lower panel. I simply deleted the hidden file "gnome.desktop" and it worked ok. Thus I was not able to get the desktop anymore. I have installed 9.10 through wubi and also from the live disk to a usb disk and have had no problems.

I might add that the problem occurred immediately after I installed 9.04 and before I downloaded a nvidia driver and before installing compiz. So it seems it was a problem with the gnome desktop manager.