PDA

View Full Version : where does everyone get their music?

kpholmes
October 20th, 2009, 07:05 PM
im having trouble finding a good source for music, especially thats drm free because i want to be able to be able to transfer my media to my other computers that i own. so if anyone knows of where to get good (as in bitrate) music and other media, thats legal, i dont want to torrent. i heard that amazon sells downloadable music, anyone know if its drm free?

RiceMonster
October 20th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I'm pretty sure amazon is drm free, yeah. There's also buying cds. Those have the best bitrate.

Tibuda
October 20th, 2009, 07:07 PM
In the stores.

Cope57
October 20th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Music stores have the greatest variety of music that I can find.

If not purchasing CD's, you could look into www.shoutcast.com

rectagonal
October 20th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Since I try and use high quality ogg for everything I usually stick to ripping from CDs. I will buy from Magnatune and Mindawn once in a while though.

NightwishFan
October 20th, 2009, 07:14 PM
I get ogg vorbis downloads from jamendo, which allow you to listen and download for free (legal). There is a trick you can use to direct download the vorbis audio that do not have any seeds. Some of the trance/club on there is very good.

For my personal Nightwish and other good bands, I settle for nothing other than 16-bit 44100hz FLAC, ripped from CDs.

JoshuaRL
October 20th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I buy from www.mp3search.ru

And I want to say here that its completely legal. No one has been sent cease and desist orders from the RIAA or its ilk by using them. When they first started (under the Allofmp3 moniker) the RIAA attempted to sue them, but their case was thrown out of court. Completely legal, and most CDs are about $2.

But another option is your local library. Most have a pretty good selection of music, and you can borrow for free. Then rip it off to your hard drive. I've heard of a lot of people doing that.

Crunchy the Headcrab
October 20th, 2009, 08:50 PM
They can't sue them because American copyright law doesn't apply in Japan. I don't know the law concerning Americans buying from them, but it is ethically shady at best.

Anyway, I use Rhapsody. 256kbs MP3. mp3's do not support drm.

sloggerkhan
October 20th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Amazon, Jamendo, Magnatune are sources for legal music at prices ranging from free to pay what you want.

starcannon
October 20th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Amazon.com
Rip my own CD's
Jamendo
At home on my P.C. I listen to Shoutcast, and I tune into my favorite local radio station at their website(98.9 KKZX)

oldsoundguy
October 20th, 2009, 08:54 PM
The Usenet.

trixman
October 20th, 2009, 09:20 PM
im having trouble finding a good source for music, especially thats drm free because i want to be able to be able to transfer my media to my other computers that i own. so if anyone knows of where to get good (as in bitrate) music and other media, thats legal, i dont want to torrent. i heard that amazon sells downloadable music, anyone know if its drm free?

i buy my cds in the store still. still like the case and booklet still.

murderslastcrow
October 20th, 2009, 09:39 PM
7music, which is available with Songbird and maybe Banshee, and can be searched and bought from online, is a good alternative. Not as many artists as iTunes, but that's only because I searched for very obscure artists. If it's anything mainstream, 7music should be satisfactory.

Of course, buying CDs is always going to yield the best results, and allow you to use ogg without converting mp3s in audacity (which is obnoxious).

OmegaAI
October 20th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Itunes, frostwire, steal them from friends PCs when I work on them (just copy and past LOL)

mocoloco
October 20th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Amazon's files are DRM-free, plus the actually support Linux and offer a nice client (http://www.amazon.com/gp/dmusic/help/amd.html) for downloading full albums. Downloading individual mp3s doesn't require their downloader client.

iTheBadGuy
October 20th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I just download my songs with FrostWire, but when i want a full album i go to the store :)

JDShu
October 20th, 2009, 11:10 PM
garageband.com, I think that independent music is often just as good if not better than record labels.

JoshuaRL
October 20th, 2009, 11:21 PM
use ogg without converting mp3s in audacity (which is obnoxious).

There's also SoundConverter/SoundKonverter. I've used it a bunch to convert between compression types. Works great, and the K varient doesn't slow stuff down on KDE hardly at all. Nice program.

JoshuaRL
October 20th, 2009, 11:38 PM
They can't sue them because American copyright law doesn't apply in Japan. I don't know the law concerning Americans buying from them, but it is ethically shady at best.

Anyway, I use Rhapsody. 256kbs MP3. mp3's do not support drm.

Copyright law in America doesn't apply much of anywhere else, at least until the ACTA becomes a reality. And its not Japan that mp3search comes from, its Russia. The reason no one is being sued or charged with any crimes in the US is because they can't be. The burden of something being illegal has to be in the place it happened. That's why criminals that flee get extradited. After the RIAA court case got thrown out, it was clearly understood that in Russia, it was legal to operate a business the way they do. In fact, the RIAA tried to sue them in New York, but dropped all legal proceedings as of May 2008.

They sell music for ~$.09/song and sell it to whomever can add funds to their account with a credit card. It may not be as much as the RIAA wants them to sell it for, but it is legal to do that in Russia.

And as far as the claim that they don't give money back to the artists, that's not true either. They take a percentage of every song and give it to a foundation set up to distribute those funds to artist or songwriters that ask for their share of the money made. The RIAA wasn't allowed to take money from them because the RIAA has never written any music ever. But because that would cut the middleman out, the RIAA and their brethren makes sure their artists never take money from them.

dragos240
October 20th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Well. I get my music from the GNUtella network. :-$

Well. That and youtube.

Jackelope
October 21st, 2009, 03:05 AM
I buy from amazon and almost everything there is in 256kbps mp3 and DRM free. Imeem also has a store that's pretty good and DRM free (I think). Both legal. It's good if you can get an album cheap from there, but buying used CD's is still the best bang for the buck. Cheap, top quality, and you can resell it when you decide that Maroon 5 is actually really annoying and not at all cool ;)

Niko Johnson
October 21st, 2009, 03:06 AM
Pandora.com

dj-toonz
October 21st, 2009, 03:10 AM
I buy mine from 7music.com or HMV or itunes store (under windows 7) in none-drm (as it's all drm free now) in the itunes store & napster has gone 100% drm free in 192mgz MP3 format

3rdalbum
October 21st, 2009, 03:26 AM
CDs and Bigpond Music (DRM-free and works on Linux if you use the "Download Individual Tracks" link after checkout).

mocoloco
October 22nd, 2009, 08:05 PM
Pandora.com

+1 for Pandora. I really have no need to buy/obtain anymore music when I can just stream stations that always play songs I like.

BrokenKingpin
October 22nd, 2009, 08:07 PM
As others have said, go out and buy the CDs. Then you can rip them to any format you wish.

guriinii
October 22nd, 2009, 08:11 PM
I download everything via torrent sites or rapidshare.

Tibuda
October 22nd, 2009, 08:13 PM
I download everything via torrent sites or rapidshare.

From OP:

so if anyone knows of where to get good (as in bitrate) music and other media, thats legal, i dont want to torrent.

andamaru
October 22nd, 2009, 08:18 PM
But another option is your local library. Most have a pretty good selection of music, and you can borrow for free. Then rip it off to your hard drive. I've heard of a lot of people doing that.

Another point for the Library. It's a little better than the demon/bay combo I usually get my project

gnomeuser
October 22nd, 2009, 08:19 PM
The majority of my collection is from existing CDs (I own a lot of CDs). Aside that I get a number of downloads from Magnatune and I supplement with the occasional CD. The majority of music in my collection recently though comes from artists who put their music out there for download be it by torrent or otherwise.

Lots of artists do this now and there is some great stuff available, giving donations directly to the artist is so much more rewarding in that you know the money goes uncut to the artist and not to war profiteering record executives (hey if they want to call it a war on file sharing..)

Cam42
October 22nd, 2009, 08:34 PM
Used CDs from Amazon.

NightwishFan
October 23rd, 2009, 03:58 PM
Pandora is USA only, I think.

I have to buy most of my music off the internet since most places do not stock my favorite bands. Best Buy has Nightwish, but I hate that store, no offense to any BB workers here.

mamamia88
October 23rd, 2009, 04:01 PM
songs that i can't find from cds at the public library i buy off amazon

AlphaLexman
October 23rd, 2009, 04:09 PM
public library - 8 cd's at a time. Takes under 1 hour for all 8 from cda -> flac & mp3
+1