PDA

View Full Version : google docs

trixman
October 20th, 2009, 06:05 PM
hi to all was just interested in knowing if anybody here has tried the google docs feature on google. my brother has started to use it and it has lots of nice features and a nice open source program for writing.

any thoughts

Tibuda
October 20th, 2009, 06:06 PM
it is not open source, but it is nice. it is not suitable for some bigger documents like a thesis or a report, but for small articles it is fine.

trixman
October 20th, 2009, 06:22 PM
it is not open source, but it is nice. it is not suitable for some bigger documents like a thesis or a report, but for small articles it is fine.

would this be considered cloud computing ?

its fun to use for writing story's and stuff

pwnst*r
October 20th, 2009, 06:56 PM
yes.

Dragonbite
October 20th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Yes it is considered "Cloud Computing" because the application and the file are located online; you don't have to download and upload the document to create, change, etc.

No, it is not open source. For that you may want to look at OpenGoo (http://www.opengoo.org/) which you could download and run on a home server as a "private cloud" is you would like, though it is behind Google Docs and Zoho (http://www.zoho.com/) which I believe uses open source tools/apps where it can.

I use Google Docs for a number of things. I use it to store personal documents and files. I love how it can save PDF files there as well.

I also use it to put up documents while I am at work so I can access it at home without having to go through compatibility issues (Windows Office 2007 and OpenOffice.org on Ubuntu Linux), or share it so people at the computer club meeting can access the presentation file without having to pass around a USB drive, etc.

What I would love is if there was a non-browser, native application that could open any of the Google Doc files, and when you click "Save" it saves it up in Google Docs or you can Save As.. or Export it to a file on your local drive without having to use a browser (and may include some extra tools that are harder to handle online). Kinda like Google Gears, but without the browser portion.

Tibuda
October 20th, 2009, 07:02 PM
What I would love is if there was a non-browser, native application that could open any of the Google Doc files, and when you click "Save" it saves it up in Google Docs or you can Save As.. or Export it to a file on your local drive without having to use a browser (and may include some extra tools that are harder to handle online). Kinda like Google Gears, but without the browser portion.

I remember of an extension for OpenOffice that allowed you to sync files with Google Docs. It was buggy, so I don't use it anymore, but perhaps it has improved.

Dragonbite
October 20th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I remember of an extension for OpenOffice that allowed you to sync files with Google Docs. It was buggy, so I don't use it anymore, but perhaps it has improved.

I'll have to look into that.

I would love it if UbuntuOne included something like that (online editing or offline/local)! I would even *gasp* consider dropping Google!

Tibuda
October 20th, 2009, 07:15 PM
I'll have to look into that.

I would love it if UbuntuOne included something like that (online editing or offline/local)! I would even *gasp* consider dropping Google!

You mean editing odt, ods, etc files from the browser like you edit tomboy notes? That would be really amazing.