PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop Icons Gone Upon Boot, Back When Nautilus Called

Gias Kay
October 20th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Hello all,

This problem has been haunting me since I upgraded from Intrepid to Jaunty. I figure it's time to find a solution for it before I advance into Karmic.

At first (immediately after the upgrade), I lost my Metacity shortcut to open up a new nautilus window. Then someone instructed me to use CompizConfig Settings Manager and enable the General → Commands option. It worked.

But it turned out to be that, everytime when I start Ubuntu, icons on my desktop will not show up. I will have to manually open a nautilus process to "call up" the desktop icons.

I suspect it's something between Metacity & Compiz settings never working perfectly, but I have the least of the clue on how to fix it.

So if anyone knows of a solution, please help me. Thanks.

undecim
October 20th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Press ALT+F2 and type "gconf-editor"

When the Configuration Editor opens, in the left side of the window, navigate to /desktop/gnome/applications/session. In the right side of the window, find the "required_components_list" key and make sure that its value contains "filemanager" (example: "[windowmanager,panel,filemanager]")

Then in /desktop/gnome/applications/session/required_components, make sure that the "filemanager" key is set to "nautilus"

Gias Kay
October 21st, 2009, 08:40 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the reply :)

But what you suggested is already the case in my configuration.

/desktop/gnome/session/required_components_list
[windowmanager,panel,filemanager]

/desktop/gnome/session/required_components/filemanager
nautilus

/desktop/gnome/session/required_components/panel
gnome-panel

/desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager
compiz

Furthermore, my
/apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop
is checked.

And despite all these I am have the problem.