PDA

View Full Version : It is possible that someone is doing something nasty!

GreenDance
October 20th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Hi, I've installed Ubuntu 9.04 Minimal in a VirtualBox, along with LAMP-Server & SSH...

I'm trying to SSH into it from the terminal on the same PC, below is the error msg I'm getting :(, please can someone help, thank you

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@
@ WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED! @
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that the RSA host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the RSA key sent by the remote host is
[key removed]
Please contact your system administrator.
Add correct host key in /home/snow/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
Offending key in /home/snow/.ssh/known_hosts:1
RSA host key for 192.168.0.5 has changed and you have requested strict checking.
Host key verification failed.

days_of_ruin
October 20th, 2009, 05:14 PM
You must have ssh'd into a computer with the same local IP address before. Just delete the first line in your ~/.ssh/known_hosts file.

GreenDance
October 20th, 2009, 08:10 PM
You must have ssh'd into a computer with the same local IP address before. Just delete the first line in your ~/.ssh/known_hosts file.

it still doesn't work :(

Excedio
October 20th, 2009, 08:15 PM

I deleted the entire known_hosts file and it solved the problem for me.

it still doesn't work :sad:

Try deleting the whole file and then connecting. It will then create a brand new RSA Key.

The Real Dave
October 20th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Beware, deleting the whole file will get rid of any other known hosts, and if you have ssh without keys set up for another ip address, could cause problems :)

The 1 in this line "Offending key in /home/snow/.ssh/known_hosts:1" shows that its just the first line in that file is causing the conflict. Open the file in an editor like nano, it shows the lines better than gedit does

sudo nano /home/snow/.ssh/known_hosts

GreenDance
October 20th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Hi, I deleted the whole file, still didn't work, so I've reinstalled ubuntu on my pc, reinstalled virtualbox then installed ubuntu on there and it's working now :)